Early US Post-AF Army Aviator Pilot Wings

Aussie-Wings

Hi,

Not sure how early these are, as they do not have the Alpha numbering that came into effect 1954(?). Obviously post 1947. When after the USAF/Army seperation, did the Army adopt this style of wing? They are made by O.C.Tanner, Salt Lake City, Utah. They are marked Sterling and are quite heavy compared to my other wings of this type.

Cheers,

AW

post-4136-1234163961.jpg

For awhile after the Air Force split from the Army (1947), the pilots that remained with the Army continued to wear the old Liaison Pilots wings. I believe I read somewhere that the current design of Army Aviators wings came along about 1950. This may or may not be an accurate date. The Army enlisted aircrew badges didn't appear till a few years later and I don't know when the flight surgeon wings came about.

Somebody on this forum will have the dates pinned down I'm sure. This older Army aviator you have shown has a lot of character and would make a great addition to any wing collection. I LIKE IT!! thumbsup.gif

For what it's worth, O.C. Tanner is still in business. We were skiing in the Salt Lake City area a couple of winters ago, and there was a billboard near the interstate with an advertisement for Tanner.

Also, don't the alpha-numeric marks only apply if the manufacturer had a contract to supply the military? In other words, a privately manufactured badge would not be required to have the markings.

For what it's worth, O.C. Tanner is still in business. We were skiing in the Salt Lake City area a couple of winters ago, and there was a billboard near the interstate with an advertisement for Tanner.

Also, don't the alpha-numeric marks only apply if the manufacturer had a contract to supply the military? In other words, a privately manufactured badge would not be required to have the markings.

Thanks DMD,

Would personnel still have their wings privately manufactured into the 50's? Did this company manufacturer any other Wings/Badges? This is the only one I have seen manufactured by this company.

AW.

...Obviously post 1947. When after the USAF/Army seperation, did the Army adopt this style of wing?

The Aviator and Senior Aviator Badges were approved on 27 July 1950 and the Master Aviator Badge was approved on 12 February 1957 (link here).

Cobrahistorian

I was just reading a 1951 Officer's Guide the other day and it stated that Army Aviators were to wear the new wings or could wear Liaison pilot wings in lieu thereof. I'd love to get a nice pair of 1950 vintage wings for my blues. I've got Sterling wings that my wife pinned me with when I pinned on, but I'd like to have a historic pair as well.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
VolunteerArmoury

Were there pin back US Army Aviator wings? I have some early USAF pin back wings so they were produced around that era.

Were there pin back US Army Aviator wings? I have some early USAF pin back wings so they were produced around that era.

Hi,

I came across a pair of US Army pin back wings by Vanguard a couple of years ago, and have kicked myself ever since for not getting them (I guess we have all been there crying.gif ).

Cheers,

AW.

Thanks DMD,

Would personnel still have their wings privately manufactured into the 50's? Did this company manufacturer any other Wings/Badges? This is the only one I have seen manufactured by this company.

AW.

My brother in law works for OC Tanner. They are the company that produced the medals for the 2002 winter Olympics here. They used to be a high end jewler and have now moved on to high end corporate awards and recognition. I'll get in contact with him to see if he can find out anything.

Chris

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but weren't the alpha numeric marked badges & wings the "generic" ones you could buy at the clothing sales store?I remember I could buy the more expensive ones that came in a NS Meyer or other named company box on the rack or ask the girl behind the counter for the vheaper set that came on a white card with the badge name and contract info in a plastic sleeve.The latter were always behind the counter and not displayed.The boxed ones had the company hallmark on the back and the generic ones had only the alpha numeric hallmark.

Steve