CIVIL WAR PIKE? Pre CW? Opinions please

dhcoleterracina

I would search civil war dealers for examples that they might be selling. I think there was a cache of over a hundred CS pike heads found at a train crash site. 

wartimecollectables.com
1 hour ago, dhcoleterracina said:

I would search civil war dealers for examples that they might be selling. I think there was a cache of over a hundred CS pike heads found at a train crash site. 

A large horde was found near Sumter, SC years ago.  The Rebs ran a train full of munitions  and arms into a swamp to keep them out of the hands of the advancing Union forces.  Most of the pikes in that load were the Cavalry style with bridle cutter on them.  Funny thing, Sherman's troops had PLENTY of munitions and arms already and didn't need or want the Confederate arms so when they found a stock pile, they would dump them in local rivers and swamps as well!  It's amazing what the farmers in South Carolina find when it gets dry and the rivers' recede.

99c71744e5a75d022c2e19fcd01e704.JPG

99c71744e5a75d022c2e19fcd01e7046.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

In the mid-early 1980s, CW magazines had advertisements for pikes (and probably lances) for sale as they found a bunch that was dumped after a train wreck down South.