WW2 Era .30 Ammo Can Maker?

GLCC74

Found this at a local flea market shop. I already have a similar one made by Canco. Any ideas on the maker of this one? I have been trying to find info but have come up short so far. 

IMG_5510.JPG

IMG_5508.JPG

Browninggunner688

Yup, Owens can company, Illinois.

Makers I have on these cans include......

Canco

Owens Illinois can company

Reeves

Crown

S.F.Ltd (British made lend lease cans)

United (June 45 onwards, the can with the tripod latch)

I have several examples of all these makers in my collection.

I don't know of any more manufacturers.

Nick.

On 9/9/2021 at 5:49 PM, Browninggunner688 said:

Yup, Owens can company, Illinois.

Makers I have on these cans include......

Canco

Owens Illinois can company

Reeves

Crown

S.F.Ltd (British made lend lease cans)

United (June 45 onwards, the can with the tripod latch)

I have several examples of all these makers in my collection.

I don't know of any more manufacturers.

Nick.

Would love to see some pictures. There was a web site that had lots of info on ammo cans [browningmgs.com].It doesn't seem to be up anymore. Does anyone have that info saved?

• 1 year later...

The material culture photographed and discussed here was manufactured by Owens-Illinois Can Company, Tindeco Division, Baltimore, Maryland. “I” inside an Upper Case Letter  “O”, in a lozenge (“<>”). O-I Can was the corporate sibling of Owens-Illinois Glass Company, Alton, Illinois, (“O-I Glass”). Collectors and dealers are chronically confusing the separate a distinct production of O-I Can and O-I Glass, inasmuch as both used the same identification mark on their metal and glass production. O-I Glass was created in April 1929 with the merger between the Owens Glass and the Illinois Glass Companies. Following an aborted October 1929 merger with the Nation’s largest can manufacture, Continental Can Company, O-I Glass in December 1935 acquired the then-largest speciality tin maker in the World, Tin Decorating Company, (“Tindeco”), Baltimore, Maryland. Tindeco, founded in 1901 and acquired in 1912 by the American Tobacco Company, was the exclusive supplier of America Tobacco’s tin containers. During World War I, the Tin Decorating Company supplied Ordnance with 2,003,640 condiment cans. Owens-Illinois Glass Company in acquiring Tindeco’s Baltimore facilities late in 1935, hired in January 1936 a former Continental Can executive to manage the facility as part of a Division of the newly created Owens-Illinois Can Company, only to sell the property nine years later in 1944 (poignantly to Continental Can), having never recorded an annual profit.