I found a 2 Quart Canteen Cover at the flea market that I didn't even know existed until today.

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I went to two flea markets today and every time I go the piles of adult diapers and dented can food seems to have grown bigger since the weekend before. As if they have taken on a life of their own. In other words it seemed as if it was just another wasted day at the market. That, unfortunately, has become a rather common occurrence these days. With that said I saw this US 2 qt. Canteen with a Chocolate Chip Cover mixed in with non militarily odd and ends. When I first saw it I assumed that it was either a reproduction or fantasy piece or even one in the same. Because this is the only one that I have personally ever seen. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it is in fact a US Army issued item that happens to be in mint un-used shape. The cover is dated 1986 and the canteen 1985. I'm also partial to the Chocolate Chip pattern therefore I'm happy to add it to the collection. I just have one question and that is how rare are these covers?

IMG_2277.JPG.a166cbb6c74671853152e3815c563a29.JPGIMG_2278.JPG.b154c4aac52cb18965e728f34a59af22.JPGIMG_2279.JPG.0656163b7ccbe3136be8a05563e95c63.JPGIMG_2280.JPG.42105366a8d710e5f9364e746f8af1a5.JPG

milsurp_scout_14

I have one of those covers, and have always been of the view that these were production for the commercial market, just spuriously stamped with legitimate NSN/ contract numbers taken from either tan or OD covers. Tan 2qt covers were produced since at least 1982, so I'm not sure why they would have experimented with a 6-color desert cover. Any prototype would likely have either Natick Labs or DPSC tags rather than contractor markings. Medical Supplies Mfg (listed as Medical Supplies Mfg Ltd Inc of New Hampshire in my book) did make issued items, as I remember seeing their name on other gear. That being said, whoever made these 6-color covers didn't make a ton of them. 

Check out this thread https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=57148&page=4 ...post #26 and #31 partially discuss this cover. 

Manchu Warrior
51 minutes ago, milsurp_scout_14 said:

I have one of those covers, and have always been of the view that these were production for the commercial market, just spuriously stamped with legitimate NSN/ contract numbers taken from either tan or OD covers. Tan 2qt covers were produced since at least 1982, so I'm not sure why they would have experimented with a 6-color desert cover. Any prototype would likely have either Natick Labs or DPSC tags rather than contractor markings. Medical Supplies Mfg (listed as Medical Supplies Mfg Ltd Inc of New Hampshire in my book) did make issued items, as I remember seeing their name on other gear. That being said, whoever made these 6-color covers didn't make a ton of them. 

Check out this thread https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=57148&page=4 ...post #26 and #31 partially discuss this cover. 

I actually have a green one made by the same company and still not sure what to make of it. But I do appreciate the information.  Thanks!

228530252_s-l1600(1).jpg.d4a599aa0812b00a5bd5293776041ed0.jpg

i was working at an Army Navy store during the first gulf war and these canteen covers were made for sale to the surplus store market, although I suspect that a lot of them would have found their way into the hands of people heading off to the sand box