MK-27 3 Inch/50 Caliber Anti-Aircraft Projectile?

DaBomb

• 2 weeks later...

Very unusual, what is the base OD? 37mm or 40mm? Your example does not appear to be the Navy ( or Army) 40mm Bofors, the rotating band is not the 40mm Bofors design. I have never seen a Mechanical Time fuze on a Navy 40mm Bofors. However, the hunter green in the Naval ordnance world denotes HE. Accurate dimensions would be the place to start in identifying the projectile. 

3BB9A983-AB8B-4C04-A678-E0B8FEF270BB.jpeg

BCC9E4BC-1A74-4F2F-9DA0-61D4BEA644B4.jpeg

This was on the shelf in a shop in which the owner held on to stuff for a long time. I walked in and asked if he’d let it go. Guess it was my day when he said yes. I know he had it for many many years. I’m sure however the parts came together was the way he got it. 

The band says 3 IN.

I originally posted because no one had posted in this new forum. I mentioned these shooting down kamikazes because that’s where my research lead me. 

I have no plans on selling but am curious of it’s value?

A710B70B-4C94-4187-A7E6-37E0318A3AA5.png

Having been in the Ordnance field for a decade or more, I can say you have a harder to find projectile, mechanical timed HE 3”/50 would be sought after by advanced collectors. They are much harder to find than the common AP butt fuzed ones. Yours is the first I have seen. Find a WW2 dated 3”/50 case to stick it in and retail $350? Plus minus depending on if a Naval ordnance collector would “need one”.

Here is basically the same shell, but a Mod 2 Fuze instead of Mod 3.  My neighbor gave it to me.  Said her dad brought it home from WWII. No paint on shell and has been inerted but it sort of has a green hue if you use your imagination.

IMG_6520.JPG

IMG_6524.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...