handguns and rifles sub forums

cannon jockey

cannon jockey

I'm guessing since this is a military collectables web site in general, the answer would have to be yes or at least a firearm that was known to have been used by the military.  Separating firearms from general ordinance might be a good idea.  However, the rifles section should be renamed long guns since rifle is too specific.  There are of course many military long guns that are not rifles such as shot guns (trench guns or riot) or smoothbore muskets.

in fact, I just acquired a nice Springfield model 1816 smooth bore .69 cal flintlock musket made in 1832.    It still has traces of its military inspector's cartouches.   However, it is in no way a rifle.

Cheers

Charlie Flick

Hi Guys:

Our Forum is undertaking some steps to make it easier to find information and topics.  We are testing this out.  There will be no dramatic changes, no disruptions and nothing previously posted will be lost or eliminated.   You will see these changes gradually implemented soon.  All topics will continue the longstanding Forum requirement that they have a US military connection.  For most members the changes will appear to be of little consequence.  Overall we expect that the changes will make the member experience here better by improved organization.

Regards,

Charlie

cannon jockey
On 9/5/2021 at 5:24 PM, Charlie Flick said:

Hi Guys:

Our Forum is undertaking some steps to make it easier to find information and topics.  We are testing this out.  There will be no dramatic changes, no disruptions and nothing previously posted will be lost or eliminated.   You will see these changes gradually implemented soon.  All topics will continue the longstanding Forum requirement that they have a US military connection.  For most members the changes will appear to be of little consequence.  Overall we expect that the changes will make the member experience here better by improved organization.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks for the update.   So where do I post my US military smoothbore musket?  It's definitely a firearm but is not a rifle. 😎

I would suggest either creating a 3rd firearm category of shotguns and smoothbores or alternatively use my first suggestion of changing rifles to long arms.

Cheers

On 9/9/2021 at 12:46 AM, cannon jockey said:

Thanks for the update.   So where do I post my US military smoothbore musket?  It's definitely a firearm but is not a rifle. 😎 I would suggest either creating a 3rd firearm category of shotguns and smoothbores or alternatively use my first suggestion of changing rifles to long arms.

CJ:

I see your point.  We plan to open another subforum entitled All Other Weapons meaning everything that goes BANG! outside of Rifles and Handguns.  It will include shotguns, machine guns, submachine guns, smoothbore MUSKETS, artillery, rocket launchers, crew served grenade launchers, etc. 

Signal pistols/flare guns/signal projectors will be located in the Ordnance subforum as will be grenades, land mines, smoke generators, booby traps, bangalore torpedoes, depth charges, etc.

This is a work in progress so your patience and that of other members will be appreciated as we make these changes.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks for the reply.    I'll try to be more patient and wait until you're finished to start crying and moaning about it again. 😈

EmperorWangDong
6 hours ago, Charlie Flick said:

CJ:

I see your point.  We plan to open another subforum entitled All Other Weapons meaning everything that goes BANG! outside of Rifles and Handguns.  It will include shotguns, machine guns, submachine guns, smoothbore MUSKETS, artillery, rocket launchers, crew served grenade launchers, etc. 

Signal pistols/flare guns/signal projectors will be located in the Ordnance subforum as will be grenades, land mines, smoke generators, booby traps, bangalore torpedoes, depth charges, etc.

This is a work in progress so your patience and that of other members will be appreciated as we make these changes.

Regards,

Charlie

Nice, looking forward to it - especially military shotguns.