Possibly Pre WWI Artillery or Bombardier Pin? WWI Gas and Flame

VinnyH

Hello,

I'm an admitted beginner researching a collection from a relative. I enjoy the work to research but haven't found anything close to describe this pin and others I have. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You and
Best to All,

VinnyH

MIL_8576.JPG

CavalryCombatant

Hi!  I’ve been looking for a while with no real luck, but figured I’ll share what I’ve found in case it helps.

I’m really doubtful it’s American, it could be but I strongly doubt it. 

I’ve found a few badges online that are relatively close, which I’ll show now.

#1 Italian tank driver badge - Somewhat similar concept, dragon riding something.  Biggest issue is the dragon design change is pretty drastic.

#2 English Royal East Kent regiment insignia - The dragon seems much closer, but it’s standing on its own.

I think an idea of size would be helpful, but not sure if I can do much more.

In all honestly I doubt this is even a Military Insignia, the 

pin on it’s been added and it almost looks like it never had one.

I’m often times wrong on stuff like this, so definitely take it with a grain of salt.  

[As a side note it might be helpful to post it on the WAF, might bring some folks who’re more familiar with foreign insignia.]

Just my 2 cents,

CC

7896EB8C-9BA7-4A9B-964E-64B9E432BAC5.jpeg

image.jpeg

I do think it may be Asian in origin due to the dragon design. Here's a smaller matched pair. The first photo shows one that is about 1.25" in size. This set is about 1" each.

Thanks,

VinnyH

MIL_8578.JPG

MIL_8579.JPG

The pin originally posted has a roller catch to secure pin. WW1 original pins tend to be the open loop or "C" catch.  Im wondering if its a reproduction or possibly some type of veterans pin. Will add the Gas and Flame insignias are rare and reproduced.

I knew I came to the right place. I'm even learning about repaired or repro pinbacks.

Here's what I have and all the other ones have a loop c type pin catch.

Now I'll try to refine each item description.

Thanks everyone,

VinnyH

IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_1690.JPG

The design is a WW1 officer's collar insignia for the overseas, i.e. American Expeditionary Force, Chemical Warfare Service (CWS). The stateside CWS adopted the crossed retorts and benzine ring still worn today by Chemical Corps officers Soldiers. I can't vouch for the authenticity of your examples.

1 hour ago, atb said:

The design is a WW1 officer's collar insignia for the overseas, i.e. American Expeditionary Force, Chemical Warfare Service (CWS). The stateside CWS adopted the crossed retorts and benzine ring still worn today by Chemical Corps officers Soldiers. I can't vouch for the authenticity of your examples.

For now, it seems the single bigger one on the left is either a repro or newer edition with soldered pin back. The top pair may be original but with a repaired newer pinback soldered on. I’m thinking the bottom 2 smaller pairs are original.

Best to all,

VinnyH