West Point Krag bayonet

robinb

West Point started using chromed Krag bayonets in the early 1930's. In 1939 it was found advisable to use machine screws instead of rivets when those chromed bayonets were to be reburbished as it was found that the supply of rivets had been depleted. Any date is acceptable on the West Point bayonets. This example has been buffed to the point that the US marking is gone, but the 1897 date is quite visible.

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

k3.jpg

Here's mine, dated 1897, scabbard painted black, screws instead of rivets in the handles, the US is still visible on the reverse.  The leather bayonet adaptor has seen better days; these were used to put the scabbard onto the white web belts the cadets wore.

KragBayonetWP.jpg

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a source for the M6 version? Have my Grandfather’s (USMA ‘50) Krag cadet bayonet and would LOVE to display next to one that I used (USMA ‘04).

3 hours ago, RedLegRob said:

Anyone have a source for the M6 version? Have my Grandfather’s (USMA ‘50) Krag cadet bayonet and would LOVE to display next to one that I used (USMA ‘04).

I don't know of one currently but I think I saw one for sale on ebay earlier this year or last year so def keep an eye out there.  Was just the bayonet alone with no scabbard.