Never Thought I’d Find One In the Wild – WWI ID’d DSC Medal Grouping

AustinO

This is why you always frequently check your commonly searched categories online. 

image.png.c9280d1bb358f29b93b7929db5ea6110.png

Each of these medals posted as a BIN within a few minutes of each-other from a first-time seller (with a return policy).  The prices were beyond reasonable and the medals certainly original – so I mashed that button as quick as I could.  I spent an anxious 3 days waiting for the package to arrive, and the afternoon of delivery I spent working from my front door’s stoop.  They arrived safely, and needless to say, I was thrilled!   The research continues, and I’m hopeful that NARA has some additional details once they reopen.  I’ve attached some of the basic details in screenshots below.  The Purple Heart was for wounds received at Soissons, he took a bullet through his left hand.

image.png.2fa8078c5513ae1c5fbe6a884ca8bd28.png

image.png.2c8cb06e9e83ea50aae06f8422ba7ec3.png

The DSC unfortunately falls in a tiny gap in the rolls, just my luck! 

image.png.300849412e81f99406b6dc6f79114cec.pngimage.png.15a98d909f5ae3735a392cb8753ac3f4.png

image.png.f07119e6492692855f152a4b7d4fa431.pngimage.png.61b8dde2dc068b9c3406541f5959ef65.png

image.png.de7819e146abb51ac5cefe1b4e1d7d45.png

You might be wondering why there is a second VM in the grouping.  I was too, until I dug deeper.  The Lieutenant’s future wife was an Army Nurse, and returned from Europe on the same ship as the LT.  I’m certain that they courted on that 10 day voyage, as they were from other parts of the country (and he was not a patient on the return trip).

Unfortunately both of them died in the late 1930s, and their only son died in the 70s unmarried with no children.  I suspect the medals ended up with a distant relative after that, but really don’t know as they came from an estate clear-out company with little further detail.  

Needless to say (but have to anyways), these medals are NFS. 

5 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Fantastic and fortunate find! Is the DSC numbered on the edge?

The number is pictured in the above post. 

What a great find. Perseverance sometimes pays off. I bought a Marines Sampson Medal BIN a few years ago within seconds of it being listed. It was priced as a cheap sailor Sampson. You never know. Yours was one heck of a great find. Congrats, I am glad you beat the eBay Police before they pulled it. 

Excellent find! Congrats.

Interesting that the US DSC appears to have a French made DSC ribbon. Probably a great story about how that ribbon switch happened that we will never know.

Mike

1 hour ago, bulldog06 said:

Excellent find! Congrats.

Interesting that the US DSC appears to have a French made DSC ribbon. Probably a great story about how that ribbon switch happened that we will never know.

Mike

There was also an extra piece of ribbon that came with it and you can tell the drape had been replaced due to stitches below the broach.  I thought the blue of the ribbon was a bit light.  Probably worn for many years and needed replacement. The fellow was the state American Legion commander for a few years in the 20 so probably wore it often.  I don't think he actually received his medal until he returned to the states, probably late 1919-1920. The ribbon bar is one one of the French made ones, so thats probably what he wore during the occupation era.