Mini Funeral Flag

stratasfan

Sammy T posted a really cool picture in a grouping of some mini folded funeral flags:

(Photo Courtesy Sammy T.'s listing)

IMG_2479.jpg

Anyone know where you'd have gotten these and is this something that you can get? I really need one for my doll display of Uncle Harold! 

Believe it or not, this may have been a fraternal thing.

My Dad was a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.  As such, he carried a hankerchief sized American flag in his hip pocket.  Probably not all the time, but I am sure he carried it when he attended their functions.

The organization still exists, but it appears to be an anachronism.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benevolent_and_Protective_Order_of_Elks

"Belief in a Supreme Being became a prerequisite for membership in 1892. The word "God" was substituted for Supreme Being in 1946.[4]

In 1919, a "Flag Day resolution" was passed, barring membership to even passive sympathizers "of the Bolsheviki, Anarchists, the I.W.W., or kindred organizations, or who does not give undivided allegiance to" the flag and constitution of the United States."

There was also a social and charitable side of the organization as well.

There are several sizes of table top flags and small flags like you see people waving at parades and political events.  Pick the size that fits with your display and fold it. 

6 hours ago, RWW said:

There are several sizes of table top flags and small flags like you see people waving at parades and political events.  Pick the size that fits with your display and fold it. 

-grin- Maybe a small flag would fold easier. I did manage (after 6 solid hours) to fold a full-size flag for a display, but any Scout would have been disappointed at my corners. It is a lot harder than it looks when you watch t done at a ceremony!  Good idea about a small one. I have a bunch of old ones that we put out in the yard on Memorial Day, etc. . . . I might remove it from the stick and try one! Thanks!

2 hours ago, RWW said:

That is exactly the type of flag I was thinking about. With my 10 fat fingers, it would take me 6 hours to fold one of the small ones...

7 minutes ago, Mr.Jerry said:

I try and fold most of the ones we have at the shop like that - its hard with the really small ones and really big ones!

Oh, boy . . . this really gives me confidence to try a small one! Maybe if I work the long weekend I'll get it. Anyone have good basic instructions on flag-folding? I no longer remember where in the world I had it before. I might really have to try this! -grin- Sort of a challenge. 

easterneagle87

OK, so years ago I worked for a funeral home. I was an actual "licensed" funeral director. I wasn't an embalmer, that's different license. And that job is a whole nother story.   any hoo ...

I would find US flags that were placed at veterans markers where the stick was broken or damaged. I picked them up as I walked through the "garden". I took them back to my desk and folded them into the little triangles. It wasn't long before I had a little stack going on. I couldn't see just throwing them away, I did something positive with them. My co-workers though it was a little quirky, but I thought it was cool.     

It is hard for one person to fold an American flag by themselves.  It can be done, but you really need at least one other person to hold the end with the stars on it to keep the flag taut while you fold.  For the smaller ones, this help may be just holding the end between a thumb and forefinger. With them holding, you pull hard enough to keep tension on the flag as you fold.  This keeps the material straight and gives you nice crisp folds.  The actual mechanics of folding are very straight forward.  I think with a little help from "Sis", you will be folding flags in no time that you will be proud to display!

easterneagle87

We used to present folded flags to veteran families when they didn’t have a service. Ours flags came from the post office. We’d submit copies of  DD-214’s and get an equal  umber of flags , mint in the box. One person can fold, but it takes some coordination. Fold it twice length wise and then clamp in the top of a old frame. Then pull Down with tension as you make the triangles. It can make a nice tight package at the end to tuck.