Us wool Flag 48 stars, research help needed please

Sneri79

I have recently found this flag in a flea market here in Italy.

Can anyone help me understand more about it? I am quite new to this type of collecting

It has 48 stars, is made of wool and is double-faced. At least two printed writings can be seen on the edge of the flag but they are illegible ...

The stars are sewn, not printed.

The flag measures 28 x 47 inches ca. (70 x 120 cm approx.).

Livorno, the place where I found it, 

Thanks for your invaluable help.

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

1 hour ago, Sneri79 said:

I have recently found this flag in a flea market here in Italy.

Can anyone help me understand more about it? I am quite new to this type of collecting

It has 48 stars, is made of wool and is double-faced. At least two printed writings can be seen on the edge of the flag but they are illegible ...

The stars are sewn, not printed.

The flag measures 28 x 47 inches ca. (70 x 120 cm approx.).

Livorno, the place where I found it, 

Thanks for your invaluable help.

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

Can’t make out the printing. But, looks to be a pretty standard US flag, pre 1959. The fabric is called “Indian Head”. Much more durable than cotton or synthetics. What are the dimensions?

5 minutes ago, sigsaye said:

Can’t make out the printing. But, looks to be a pretty standard US flag, pre 1959. The fabric is called “Indian Head”. Much more durable than cotton or synthetics. What are the dimensions?

The flag measures 28 x 47 inches ca. (70 x 120 cm approx.).

1 hour ago, Sneri79 said:

The flag measures 28 x 47 inches ca. (70 x 120 cm approx.).

If it was a Navy flag, it would have been what we called a “Boat Ensign”. Obviously, flown in boats, like a Captains Gig, Admirals Barge, assault Boats. It shows no wear, so hasn’t been used. Many ships used that size at sea, referred to as “Steamers”, to save on the regular size flags carried on board. 

5 hours ago, sigsaye said:

If it was a Navy flag, it would have been what we called a “Boat Ensign”. Obviously, flown in boats, like a Captains Gig, Admirals Barge, assault Boats. It shows no wear, so hasn’t been used. Many ships used that size at sea, referred to as “Steamers”, to save on the regular size flags carried on board. 

Thanks, thanks you so much, I can see you are very experienced! So, just out of curiosity, has it any value?

5 hours ago, Sneri79 said:

Thanks, thanks you so much, I can see you are very experienced! So, just out of curiosity, has it any value?

I was a US Navy Signalman for 26 years. Flags were my job. As far as value, no idea.