Captain Ward B Chamberlin WW1 - Reacquired by Family via USMF

bill howard

Seeking 

1925 dated uniform that belonged to Ward B. Chamberlain who received the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions on September 15, 1918, while serving with the 307th Infantry Regiment. The uniform belongs to a friend who lives near me. It was part of his late father’s militaria collection. The garment will be for sale at the upcoming Show of Shows. Here’s is Chamberlain’s DSC citation:

The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Ward B. Chamberlain, Captain, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Merval, France, September 15, 1918. While leading his company in attack through terrific shell fire, Captain Chamberlain was severely wounded in the right hand, this wound rendering his entire right arm useless. Despite his weakness from loss of blood, he refused to be evacuated until forced to do so. (General Orders No. 46, W.D., 1919)

I am Captain Chamberlin's Grand Son. With the help of Congressman Chris Smith I have successfully replaced my Grandfathers Purple Heart, Silver Star and Distinguished Service Cross. I am very interested in acquiring my Grandfather's WW1 uniform and bring it home, where it belongs. Any and all help greatly appreciated. Bill Howard [email protected]

Just to clarify...you're looking for the uniform in this thread:

It was sold at the Show of Shows in 2013 (or I assume it was). While it may still belong to someone on the forum, it might also have moved through several collections at this point. 

Best of luck to you!

Dave

2 minutes ago, bill howard said:

Dave, thru this link, I was able to find the owner and it is being shipped home. Many thanks to all 

I'll be darned! Congratulations! That's a great ending to the story!!!

Honestly, I had hopes ,  I thought the chances were very slim. It is only thru the interest and kindness of you , Indexred  and Brad that it has been accomplished. Having his uniform is very meaningful , I can not that you all enough.