Interesting Man Cave item - what vintage is this 105MM shell??

billl

I bought this for $4 at an estate sale this weekend. I couldn't pass it up.  What vintage is this? I'm guessing Korean War (give or take) as that

was when the departed apparently served...

20210829_113738.jpg

20210829_113742.jpg

105mm.jpg

I have one similar from Vietnam era. Same  plated 105 casing and wooden prohectile. Mine has a Spectre Gunship logo engraved on it. One of two that were found by a friend in the early 80s at a garage sale. Sadly he didnt buy the flight helmet and gear.....

16 hours ago, sundance said:

Great item. What a deal.  I wouldn't have balked at $20. 

Thank you.  It's not my war - I do WWII - but it was hard to pass up at that price. But I'll swap for something WWII some day.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/3/2021 at 12:42 PM, 917601 said:

Looks like a 1972 date. Look under the Lot F number….looks like “72”.

1972 - I think you've got it.  Funny what we pick up, when the price is right. It's hard to stay focused.

2 hours ago, billl said:

1972 - I think you've got it.  Funny what we pick up, when the price is right. It's hard to stay focused.

Focused?  What's that?

Mikie

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 3:06 PM, mikie said:

Focused?  What's that?

Mikie

Lemme see. I used to know. Man, it's hard. Especially in books.  I fight for it, but I have a bad attraction to OD.

• 2 months later...

I have a similar shell casing from a 105mm Howitzer. Looks like you have a similar one, and I'm inclined to agree with the masses that this is a Vietnam Era one. It looks to be dated '72. Im a WWII collector, but I wouldn't pass up this for $4! Nice find!

Best regards,

Connor

On 10/10/2021 at 10:22 AM, Story said:

The M-14 105x372R Howitzer case can be fired in the M101, M102 and M3 (Pack) Howitzers - along with any of their derivative mounts.

The 105mm on the AC-130 went away after Vietnam, but now it's back.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-trending/the-devastating-105mm-cannon-is-back-on-the-ac-130-gunship/

The 105mm was still on our gunships in 2008. I toured one in Tolemeida,Colombia after it saved our bacon in San Jose Guavierre, Nov, 2008. I was a DOS COLAR (Colombian Army advisor) back then. The crew chief gave me 105mm, 25mm and 40mm Bofors cases as a souvenir.

A7A1C7D0-CFF3-45BC-8405-91586ECFEE24.jpeg

Also, note the USAF 105mm was a fixed round. They have a noticeable crimp at the case mouth. Unlike a standard 105mm, the round was pre loaded ( bagged propellant) and the projectile crimped into place.