Luxenberg of NY, NY: examples and patterns

Hello,

The wing is indeed a US pilot wing. It is hallmarked for Morrie Luxenberg of New York, a retail store that supplied uniforms and insignia. However, it is believed that American Emblem Co of Utica New York (AE Co) made these wings with the Luxenberg hallmark.

It isn't Luxembourg the country, but Luxenberg the company.

Patrick

Austin_Militaria
Hello,

The wing is indeed a US pilot wing. It is hallmarked for Morrie Luxenberg of New York, a retail store that supplied uniforms and insignia. However, it is believed that American Emblem Co of Utica New York (AE Co) made these wings with the Luxenberg hallmark.

It isn't Luxembourg the country, but Luxenberg the company.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. That would explain why they are so plain and not like most Luxembourg wings that you see. -Rob

• 4 months later...

This little chickie-poo joined the flock today.

Not an IDed WWI wing to an ace off a theater-made tunic hand embroidered by French maidens like some of the other treasures we have been seeing over the past few weeks.

Just a nice WWII vintage, nicely toned 2 inch Lux pilot wings.

Patrick

post-1519-1231721646.jpg

Very nice wing Patrick. I always love having the 2" and 3" version of the same pattern. I'm happy to have one of these myself to keep the full size version company!

Bob

I know I am just showing off now, but....

Here is the Luxenberg Family. Mom and Pop, the kids and Uncle Bombardier.

Hi Patrick,

At the moment there is a nice 2" Bombardier on eBay, Item number: 300286392454.

If your interested, we'll be pulling for you. thumbsup.gif

Cliff

Hi Patrick,

At the moment there is a nice 2" Bombardier on eBay, Item number: 300286392454.

If your interested, we'll be pulling for you. thumbsup.gif

Cliff

Thanks for the heads up Cliff,

Sadly, I almost never by anything from ebay. The prices always seem to be beyond my means or interest. I am such a cheap bugger.

P

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everybody!

I have these Luxenberg Aircrew wings...they measure 3 1/8 inches wide and the shield appears to be a seperate piece. The person I bought them from says they test as silver. What are the opinions on these wings?

Thanks a lot,

John

post-4892-1234134202.jpg

Nice wing in a very popular pattern. Match the pattern of your wing to this aircrew wing made by Blackington who produced wings for several companies.

John

blackingtonacvu9.jpg

Hi Paul:

Thank you for those pictures.

I can see that the wings that John posted appear to have a seperate shield and I am speculating that your shield is a seperate piece also?

John

My pictures sometimes come out dark, but then again this wing has some patina.

Here is another shot that hopefully comes out a bit brighter.

These wings are sure impressive in hand with the detail to the feathering.

John

post-4892-1234200765.jpg

The Aircrew wings were made from Observer wings with a button top soldered on to it. Very common to do that back then. Observer wings were the base for lots of different designs. That way you only had to make one die and would have several different wings.

• 4 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought this off Ebay. I was wondering if the clutch back was original to the wing or was it added on a later date?

Thank you,

Jason

post-6682-1245628935.jpg

post-6682-1245628962.jpg

post-6682-1245628974.jpg

post-6682-1245628994.jpg

post-6682-1245629010.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

I just bought the wing today, I will let you know ones I get them. Do you think the clutch backs posts are original or soldered on a later period?

Thanks for your reply.

I just bought the wing today, I will let you know ones I get them. Do you think the clutch backs posts are original or soldered on a later period?

Since the metal surfaces around the posts appear undisturbed, I'd say the posts are absolutely original and correct for the period. The clutch fasteners are possibly original or replacements, since they look to me like the older style more popular before the war.

All in all, a fine example of WWII pilot wings with the desirable Luxenberg trademark. Congratulations.