Civil War Photo

Taj Patel

Dear Militaria Collectors,

I bought this photo a few weeks ago off of EBay and suspected it was worth it. I posted it on the identification section of the forum and was told this was a Civil War photo. When I received the photo I realized  that this was likely a proof. From the proof I could tell the soldier  was a Corporal and was wounded in his hand since it seems his hand is wrapped. On the back it said “3 like this” and Alonzo Smith. The seller told me she got in La Mesa or San Diego,California. Which brings me here on this section to ask if the name of the back of the photo is the name of the man photographed or the watermark of the photographer.

Thanks,

Taj Patel

2FD68D71-1482-41DB-A87E-DFA0C1C8E451.jpeg

E6606EB4-DEE6-45ED-9114-3DE096FEDE82.jpeg

Most likely the name of the soldier….Most CW era CDV’s would have the studios name printed on the reverse or at the bottom on the front….here are a couple pulled off the internet as examples….also keep in mind CDV sized portraits were popular to exchange with family and friends so a portrait sitter would normally have several copies made a one time which he or she would sign and give to friends or family

38961C08-5C9B-41F8-B523-94780D9998F3.jpeg

7EE2B2C7-1FAD-41D6-87B8-8641926FE2B4.jpeg