Up-armored Shermans

Jim Baker

Charlie Flick

Here is another up-armored Sherman, and this one has some real history attached to it. It is located at the Rock Island Armory and was involved in the Battle of the Bulge. The caption to the photo reads:

"Seen here is an M4 Sherman tank that saw action in the Battle of the Bulge. This particular tank had additional armor plating welded onto the front. The yellow painted areas show where an enemy antitank round impacted, and glanced up and off the armor plating. The tank was put out of action by a round nearly cutting the barrel in two."

Photo is taken from an article on the RIA Museum posted on the surplusrifle.com site.

Regards,

Charlie

Battle_of_Bulge_Sherman_at_RIA.jpg

• 9 months later...
Charlie Flick

Hey Jim:

I know you like pics of up-armored Shermans, so I thought you might enjoy seeing this one. I am not certain but "Killer" was, I believe, a USMC 4th Tank Battalion Sherman that was part of Operation Flintlock, the invasion of Kwajalein Atoll. Just why "Killer" has a Japanese tankette on its back deck is an occasion for considerable speculation. Perhaps the battle was over and the tankette was a prize capture. I am sure that there is a story there somewhere, I just don't know what it is.

Anyway, here you go!

Charlie

MarineShermanwithJapLightTankKwajal.jpg

Hi Charlie,

Yep, this one adds new meaning to "up-armored". :blink:

"Killer" is the mount of Sgt. Joe Bruno. The Japanese tank is a type 94 light tank. The photo was taken on Roi-Namur prior to their departure for Hawaii.

I believe they were with the 4th MarDiv, supporting the 23rd and 24th Marines. And yes, the Japanese tank is a trophy. I'd just like to know how they got it up there. think.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I think Gen. Patton had a heart attack if he saw this one. :blink:

Where was that taken? Time?

It reminds me of the "Schürtzen" on a Panzer IV or a Sturmgeschütze III.

Great pictures, Jim.

Keep 'em coming.

Erwin

Erwin,

I think the Sherman with the skirts would make a great modelling project.

I'd like to find a photo of it in the field.

Charlie,

The man in the photo with "Killer":

Private First Class N. E. Carling of Company C, 4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division, stands surrounded by tanks on Roi-Namur. His left hand is on a Type 95 Ha-Go, a 7.4-ton vehicle with a crew of three, one 37mm main gun and two 7.7mm machine guns. Slow but effective against unsupported infantry, it was no match against any Allied armor. The type 95 was the basis for an amphibious version. Behind Carling is a M4A2 Sherman tank; note the raised exhaust at rear of the tank to prevent flooding while landing on the beach. Nicknamed "Killer" it has wooden armor added to prevent attachment of magnetic mines. This tank, along with the rest of Company C, landed on Red Beach 3 at 1150 Hours on February 1, 1944. On the rear deck of "Killer" is a type 94 Te-Ke tankette. Based on the British Carden-Lloyd carrier, it served as a prime mover for artillery and weapons. It had a small, manually operated turret with a single 7.7mm machine gun. These Japanese tanks were part of the 2nd Battalion of the 1st Sea-Mobile Brigade commanded by Colonel Tarokichi Aso. They were probably disabled by the heavy preliminary bombardment from battleships, cruisers and artillery on nearby islands seized the day before the Marines landed on Roi-Namur.

Charlie Flick

Jim:

Excellent detective work there! Great details on the pic and the Japanese tanks especially. I had assumed the wooden additions to the Sherman were for protection against shaped charges, not magnetic mines. You have educated me! Thanks for filling in the background on "Killer".

Regards,

Charlie Flick

• 3 weeks later...
Concrete...... Not very attractive. I wonder how effective this was?

Well, like they say tanks are practically rolling pillboxes... I guess these boys took it to heart. :lol:

Regards,

FRISCAN

Sure. Looks like Panther tracks were used on this disabled Sherman:

bbbvvvbvbvbvbv0011.jpg

WOW! Waste not want not.

Dwight, is this your photo, or off the net?

Thanks!

DwightPruitt

Jim,

This particular photo came from www.tank-net.org during a discussion of Michael Wittmann's demise. The photograph has been floating around the net for a few years, by different posters, so I don't know who the owner is.

Tank-net is a great place for the discussion of all eras of armor, being populated by a good mix of published authors, armor crewmen and enthusiasts. Chances are, just about any armor-related question will be answered by a authority.

The only downside to TN is that it's marred a bit by political discussion, but the moderators do a decent job of keeping it localized in the free-fire zone. Other than that, I recommend it wholeheartedly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

not sure if you would class this as up armored sherman, my grandad was a sherman tank driver during WW2 with the New Zealand 19 Battalion and Armoured Regiment, ive heard that they were given these extensions and told they were not allowed to use them untill after D-day, incase the germans found out or something.

WH2-19BaP029b.jpg

if your enemy gets bogged down and you dont i would class that as up armoured lol, i also heard that it wasnt so bad if the germans fired armour piercing rounds at the shermans, on their way clean through if they didnt hit anything or anyone you were ok :blink:

and here is one with....body armor!!!!! think.gif

3AD crossing the siegfried line,pic comes from Wiki

Henrik

Oh dear me, Henrik.

I must say, that joke was lame. :D

But I am laughing.

• 2 months later...