Jeweler-Made Collar Emblem "Fish Hook Flukes"

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

This emblem appeared early this week on EBAY: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Sellers description: A very finely crafted, jeweler made US Marine Corps officer's collar insignia eagle, globe and anchor. In excellent condition, no makers mark but it does have an early jewlery pin back fastener with a barrel hinge. A unique eagle long neck and hand cut anchor as can be seen in the picture.

Well honestly, I do not agree for the following reasons:

1) anchor flukes look like nothing I've seen - more sweetheart pin character - fish hooks?

2) the stock has no rings and is tapered - look t the example used from the collection of Mike Manifor.

3) a barrel clasp on a pre 1904 EGA - I think not...!These clasps did not come around until the late teen's

4) overall details are soft - no crispness to a piece - jeweler made ? No self respecting silversmith would do this.

5) why a single lefty - always sends up my radar. Why is it every time I see one of questionable nature - its the left collar version?

6) no real wear evident - the whole piece has the same appearance - dull details - no crisp recesses, as on the example

7) the piece is just to large - IMO. The eagle is to large for the scale - IMO. Reg's of the time called for the emblems worn on the collar to be half the size as those of the epaulets.

... and WHERE IS THE PATINA?

Interested in hearing from others. s/f Darrell

compare.jpg

the more I study it, the more I have to agree. the metal quality almost seems inferior, and far too shiny, even if a period piece had been polished.

I have a feeling it's going to bring a hefty sum of moola, however

I dont like the anchor flukes..I've seen this trait on some very bad pieces. Think I'll save my money and let someone else gamble with their own!

Mike

teufelhunde.ret
I dont like the anchor flukes..I've seen this trait on some very bad pieces. Think I'll save my money and let someone else gamble with their own!

Mike

Well Mike someone felt it was worth the gamble - to the tune of $1320 bucks! :pinch:

• 11 years later...

Rediscovered this during the forum overhaul and you know, having gained experience and seen many more emblems in the last dozen years, in retrospect I feel good about the emblem that started this post...thus I've split it out of the Counterfeit & Repro topic for its own discussion

• 1 year later...

Thanks for doing that Brig, as I hold both pieces in my collection and can attribute them both as pre-1900 original collar insignia.  Both, if not, at least the larger eagle one, being Breuninger made.  Great early pieces that epitomize the "art" associated with one-of-a-kind jeweler made pieces.  Rare.

Mike Manifor

11 hours ago, usmcaviator said:

Thanks for doing that Brig, as I hold both pieces in my collection and can attribute them both as pre-1900 original collar insignia.  Both, if not, at least the larger eagle one, being Breuninger made.  Great early pieces that epitomize the "art" associated with one-of-a-kind jeweler made pieces.  Rare.

Mike Manifor

That's where all the jeweler-mades keep disappearing to