Very happy to find this Horse Equipment.

noworky

A US Cavalry or horse equipment collector would probably only appreciate this. I have been looking for a couple years now for a 1904 Surcingle for the McClellan saddle. The Surcingle is a safety device that goes all the way around the saddle and the horse and is a secondary safety in case the cincha should fail. These are a very difficult item to find as they just didn't survive. I have seen ratty ones bring in the $300/500 price range so I was very happy at the $50 price tag on this one.

1904600x450.jpg

Now that is an awesome find! Most surcingles, like girth, were used up and tossed out long ago. I would love to have one in half that condition.

Congrats!

Henry

Awesome find! :)

I hope you don't mind my asking, is cavalry and horse equipment your primary area of collecting? If so, do you have past threads showing your collection, or would you mind adding some photos of your collection? My riding teacher collects old saddles and horse tacks and has a couple of McClellan saddles stashed away in her big storage Quonset hut on her property, but she does not collect them from a militaria point of view. She may be very interested in learning more about them, if you have any info on types of saddles, etc. that you could pass on, I'll point her to this forum.