20,000 dollar B-15

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

This was on pawn stars, a guy with a IMC(?)cap on appraised it at 20k as it is from the 509th BG…no provenance and IMO it is a commercial B15.. not a patch guy so can’t comment on the patch.. 

thoughts?

117D37D6-38B1-466B-8AED-DDDD1F7C4080.jpeg

FD64F3BF-0DC6-4A68-B709-7872A387435C.jpeg

vintageproductions

Well you would be wrong as it is not commercial it is a regular tagged B-15.

I own this jacket and they filmed it in my showroom.

The patch is 509th Composite.

4 hours ago, vintageproductions said:

So what is it? B-15 worth 20k?

I think the patch is an early one, I am not an expert but I believe later ones have 509 on them. I don't know much about the B-15 jacket but some were made from a durable cotton/rayon mix (I could be wrong, I relied on the internet to read about the B-15 jacket).

phantomfixer
10 hours ago, vintageproductions said:

It wouldn't be the first time....would have liked to have seen the tag as the there are a few things wrong with the jacket for it to be an issue jacket,, maybe a custom made...or a an Aero Medical test jacket given to the 509th...

But as it stands from the picture and what they showed on the TV show, most collectors would be turned off

by the shell...no star on sleeve, no pencil pocket on sleeve.....lack of snaps on the pockets.....the patch could be legit, I am not a patch guy

I agree with Bluehawk and Phantom Fixer, I have never seen one like that in books or otherwise. Very interesting and would love to see more of it. 

Could be a special color based on the project but that would go against the secrecy of the same.

When something is so far off with no provenance, the uniqueness might not be a distinguishing feature in the good way.

Next year, "The special issue Doolittle  jacket has been found."

vintageproductions

The jacket will be in a upcoming book, and I told the author I would not post any details online until the book is ready.

Manchu Warrior

Is Pawn Stars and Rick running out of story lines so now they are shopping in high end militaria stores to resell the items in his pawn shop? I may be wrong but it seems that the blot of the story should be the other way around.

Great post ! Awesome shop! Wow !!

Was the face screen on the U2 Helmet made by General electric ?

Looks like it has wires in it and is a heated Face Shield ?

19 hours ago, vintageproductions said:

The jacket will be in a upcoming book, and I told the author I would not post any details online until the book is ready.

Understand, thanks!  I look forward to the book. Looks like a pretty special piece. 

20 hours ago, Manchu Warrior said:

Is Pawn Stars and Rick running out of story lines so now they are shopping in high end militaria stores to resell the items in his pawn shop? I may be wrong but it seems that the blot of the story should be the other way around.

This is no dig on Bob's business or experience but if you have ever been approached about or involved at all in one of these TV shows you will know that it has little to do with getting something to resell. It's all about setting up the "story" and the "sell" for the TV episode. The show is the product regardless of the topic or item - this is reality TV.

I have two stories to tell but this is kinda old news.

Dave

Manchu Warrior
41 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

This is no dig on Bob's business or experience but if you have ever been approached about or involved at all in one of these TV shows you will know that it has little to do with getting something to resell. It's all about setting up the "story" and the "sell" for the TV episode. The show is the product regardless of the topic or item - this is reality TV.

I have two stories to tell but this is kinda old news.

Dave

Maybe I should not have posted my thoughts on this tread. Because it is honestly just my dislike for the show and I will even tell you why. I have quite a few gas masks in my collection. With that said a seller on the show came in the Pawn Stars shop with WWII US Navy Mark IV gas mask, which is one of my personal favorites. It was a clean mask but not mint in the box or wrapped in plastic. Rick gives him I believe it was $125.00 for it and stated that he could get $300.00. I just want to know where it sells for $300.00? I was ready to rent a truck and cram all my militaria into it and drive to Las Vegas. Anyways back on track, so now anyone that watched that had a Mark IV mask believed that it was worth $300.00 when I might get what Rick paid for it on a very good awesome day. As my son warned me many years ago there ain't much reality in realty TV. There were other instances that I believed to be quite ridiculous and I really haven't watched the show since. My apologies for my vent and I in no way intended to high jack the thread, 

9 minutes ago, Manchu Warrior said:

Maybe I should not have posted my thoughts on this tread. Because it is honestly just my dislike for the show and I will even tell you why. I have quite a few gas masks in my collection. With that said a seller on the show came in the Pawn Stars shop with WWII US Navy Mark IV gas mask, which is one of my personal favorites. It was a clean mask but not mint in the box or wrapped in plastic. Rick gives him I believe it was $125.00 for it and stated that he could get $300.00. I just want to know where it sells for $300.00? I was ready to rent a truck and cram all my militaria into it and drive to Las Vegas. Anyways back on track, so now anyone that watched that had a Mark IV mask believed that it was worth $300.00 when I might get what Rick paid for it on a very good awesome day. As my son warned me many years ago there ain't much reality in realty TV. There were other instances that I believed to be quite ridiculous and I really haven't watched the show since. My apologies for my vent and I in no way intended to high jack the thread, 

He always overpays for historical stuff, and you'll see it in the background of the show years later (the West Point uniform of a General comes to mind that he way overpaid for). I've always just assumed that he uses the show as a giant Classifieds ad to find rare historical stuff for his collection that he thinks is cool.

Manchu Warrior
1 hour ago, Brig said:

He always overpays for historical stuff, and you'll see it in the background of the show years later (the West Point uniform of a General comes to mind that he way overpaid for). I've always just assumed that he uses the show as a giant Classifieds ad to find rare historical stuff for his collection that he thinks is cool.

Even with my hostility towards the show I have to admit that your insight makes complete sense. Because Lord knows that over the years I have become my number 1 best customer.