What is this thing called?

CandaceStonestreet86

CandaceStonestreet86

The object I made is some kind of scaffolding for working on aircraft, this is my first model and first attempt at making this thing for my diorama I'm putting together of a P-38 in the Pacific.

I'm going as low budget as possible so I picked up a few supplies at the dollar store of florist wire(20gauge) and popsicle sticks. 

If I knew what this was called I could probably research it better and hopefully make a better looking scaffold🤷🏼‍♀️

but you know it's a learning process.

By the way, I'm learning lots of stuff in this section of the forum, it's been fun going through some of the old post and especially the pinned ones.

20210826_120719.jpg

20210826_120713.jpg

20210826_121600.jpg

DedMIV7X4AEQFLj.jpg

ff33cc5553958130860515a98110d5cc.jpg

You did an awesome job, well done!. Could it be an aircraft maintenance platform? (I just translated the German term "Wartungsbuehne"). What scale is it? 1/35 or 1/48? Would love to see the P 38 as well!

CandaceStonestreet86
1 hour ago, Proud Kraut said:

You did an awesome job, well done!. Could it be an aircraft maintenance platform? (I just translated the German term "Wartungsbuehne"). What scale is it? 1/35 or 1/48? Would love to see the P 38 as well!

1/48th scale

EmperorWangDong
5 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

While newer, the ones we manufactured for the Lockheed F-35 program were indeed called maintenance platforms. The ones we built were much larger and hydraulic, but I believe the name has stayed the same over the years.

CandaceStonestreet86

Thank y'all for the help and the kind words.

I'll be sure to post as soon as I'm finished!

PK was close, we called them Aircraft Maintenance Stands. As with everything military, I'm sure it has a series number assigned. When I was in, the hydraulically pumped adjustable stands we most used with fighters were B-1 thru B-5, but there are others used by the larger aircraft community. There was also the C-1, which had 4 steps up to the platform and was not height adjustable. This could be mated to the B-1 IIRRC. None of these are an exact match for yours as they came later, but it might help in your search.

Randy

• 8 months later...
ItemCo16527

I had to go back and reread what you wrote in your OP. I saw the pics first and thought it was part of a kit you were just adding some stuff to, not scratch built. Nice work! That is a very creative addition to your diorama!

• 7 months later...
On 8/29/2021 at 9:09 AM, Randy said:

PK was close, we called them Aircraft Maintenance Stands.

Ditto.  That may be more modern term but that is a general term used by mechanics.  Some stands will have a specific purpose:  Engine No. 2 Maintenance Stand (for use on old DC10-30 or MD-11).