CPL JOHN E BURKE USMC & PARA MARINE HELMET ,FOUGHT ON BOUGAINVILLE, KIA ON IWO JIMA

Raidercollector

Raidercollector

Thought I would finally share my Para Marine helmet I have had many years .One of the high lights of my collection. Cpl john e Burke was with company A First Para on the battle of Bougainville , Than after the Para units where disbanded ,He went to 5th marine division 3rd Bn 26th Marines ,On Iwo Jima where he was Killed on 2-23-45. Some where by airfield number 2. There was heavy fighting during that time. He was from Oregon. He is in the 5th Division book. Why the photos turn Im not sure.  

burke.jpg

burke1.jpg

burke2.jpg

burke3.jpg

burke4.jpg

burke5.jpg

burke6.jpg

burke7.jpg

burke8.jpg

burke9.jpg

burke11.jpg

burke12.jpg

Impressed you condensed his story into a paragraph. Haha. Mine are like 5 pages. Researched US Lids are the best. Really helps these guys live again. Really great lid and history. Any idea who brought it home ?

Z

Raidercollector
9 hours ago, Paddyd00 said:

Impressed you condensed his story into a paragraph. Haha. Mine are like 5 pages. Researched US Lids are the best. Really helps these guys live again. Really great lid and history. Any idea who brought it home ?

Z

Yes I condensed his history, I could have did more detail on him. But I got lazy. Its a rare lid and cover for the actions ,Wish it could talk. I bought this helmet from a picker in Virginia in 2006  . How it got there I have no Idea. He said he bought it at a flea market. But it was a 100.00 bucks and named, He knew it was named but did not know anything about the marine that once owned it. I was glad to get it. Than I researched it, And fell out of my chair when I found out who he was. I wish I new more. I all so have a named one from Tarawa with several other items from him. I have bought serval named marine helmets in the late 90,s and early 2000,s.Most people back than did not collect them and they where reasonable to buy.   I have not found any in years. I just have 2 named marine helmets left in my collection. The one I posted and the Tarawa one.. I have sold some of my collection in the last couple of years. I am getting close to retirement.  But I still like collecting . Its a addiction .HAHA. 

That number on the chinstrap is the last 4 of the serial number on one of the documents.

Maybe Im totally loosing my memory but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Marine do that before.

Raidercollector

I have seen numbers like that on HBT,s . And one or 2  P41,s.  Not sure  if there serial numbers .  Or what they mean. But very uncommon. 

B-2971

First letter of last name and last 4 of SN

We did it (Laundry Mark)with first initial of last name and last 4 of Social before going back to DOD ID #s.

• 1 month later...