Is this a WWII era Camillus MK2 blade/pommel?

wackyd

Hey again folks,

picked this up from the bay recently and plan to re-handle it, in a very basic manner.

Does it appear to be WWII vintage?

Thanks!

Daniel

ECFD6958-94BA-48DE-9BB1-14AA54DC9A35.jpeg

61A1186D-361D-4B1C-A444-AB8E590D0A10.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Making little steps. I am a joke compared to the craftsmen who built these and to the service men and women who made do in theater, but working on something last handled 80 or so years ago is something else.

F2AAF52A-DB31-4037-A90F-6D4D8E40C4CD.jpeg

9D6A88CB-4B17-4BD2-8AD5-FD1603B885C9.jpeg

16495639-4D48-42AA-A02C-1766523623F4.jpeg

F2A4A238-5B8F-4C83-8B2F-7326BED4B437.jpeg

Also, I know the Camillus should not have the spacers. Hopefully that will help the next generation of collectors know this ain’t original if my kids get rid of it one day.

OBTW wackyd, the late Tom Williams, (Camillus's official company historian), told me some years ago that nails are precisely what they used during WW2 for the pommel pins.

1 minute ago, sundance said:

Beautiful work. Do those disks get sanded to shape or is that done some other way?

Sanded.

Rough shaped (with an 18v portable belt sander) with 80 grit.

I’ll move to 1000 grit to smooth it, and as it clogs up, I’ll use the clogged belt to burnish it.

12 minutes ago, sactroop said:

OBTW wackyd, the late Tom Williams, (Camillus's official company historian), told me some years ago that nails are precisely what they used during WW2 for the pommel pins.

That is awesome to know! Thank you!

I have the Pin provided with the handle kit, but the nail felt right, though what I had was undersized.

17 hours ago, Edelweisse said:

Yep.

First handle I worked on I bought a Kabar kit from EBay.

The kit is cheap from Kabar, but shipping is a bit high. Though manageable if you are buying a sheath or something else.

I like their plastic sheathes but also grabbed a leather one.

You could certainly punch your own, but as cheap as they are and with the punched hole being a neat match to the tang, they make it easy.

Well, I made a wrong turn - I bought some leather dye a while back, dark brown and oxblood. Alcohol based.

I decided to use the ox blood. I originally planned oxblood and then dark brown over it.

But ended up oxblood only.

it was a little more pink than desired, but with a little burnishing, darkened some, but the varied leather of the washers also took the dye differently. I should have known that but didn’t really think about it.

The real issue was the handle that was tight after compressing the waterlogged washers shrunk after the alcohol evaporated.

womp womp.

Not a do over, but I may hit it with the brown dye now.

Plan better next time!

C283779D-552D-47C3-81FD-B40D797BE439.jpeg

8CC51FE9-77AF-4D90-BD4B-DC71D9585D6B.jpeg

BAFE6B6D-25E7-4885-A2AE-40521E021D76.jpeg

3 hours ago, EmperorWangDong said:

Dark brown came out nice, looks well handled like oils from hands have soaked in to match the rest of the character of the knife. 👍

Thank you.

I thought it was done for.

I am pleased.

23D365B4-0ABB-47AF-B9DE-657AE6347A16.jpeg

C6205E44-92D3-41E2-9705-AA72684AF13D.jpeg

Years from now I wonder what stories will get attached to this knife and the others with similar pedigree's.  At least with this one the two black spacers at either end should let the ones who study know it's not original to the manufacture of the blade.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to come off as being critical about this restoration.  I think it's a very nice save.