Need help with A-8Summer Flying Helmet

stratasfan

I have some photos of an A-8 Summer Flying Helmet. I am trying to make a mini version of this, and as far as the pattern goes, it is going fine. However . . . question! I'm hoping that someone has one of these, and could take some pictures of it with some other WWII-era uniform pieces . . . is it khaki, dark khaki or green? I'm seeing a vast difference in pictures, everywhere form looking pale khaki to dark green. I have fabric from some WWII uniforms, and have khaki and OD. Wondering if someone could take some pictures of it next to some other things to help me out here? 

Thanks in advance!

Elizabeth

A8 flying helmet 13.jpg

A8 Flying Helmet.JPG

Elizabeth,

The gabardine wool and color used is the same as on the A-4 flight suit and B-1 cap. I did a lot of experimentation and fought with dye formulas for a while when I was making B-1 caps. I don't think I ever got it perfect but did get close. Unfortunately, not being a great record keeper, all my formulas are everywhere so I don't know what was the final iteration. As you likely know, the color of the dye is nothing like the dried piece when done.

Mustard green is a good term - like the early WWII wool Army trousers. 

I have all the above mentioned items if you need pics.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmar836 said:

Elizabeth,

The gabardine wool and color used is the same as on the A-4 flight suit and B-1 cap. I did a lot of experimentation and fought with dye formulas for a while when I was making B-1 caps. I don't think I ever got it perfect but did get close. Unfortunately, not being a great record keeper, all my formulas are everywhere so I don't know what was the final iteration. As you likely know, the color of the dye is nothing like the dried piece when done.

Mustard green is a good term - like the early WWII wool Army trousers. 

I have all the above mentioned items if you need pics.

Dave

Would love pics! I have pieces from a couple of WWII-era trousers. One that is more brownish (when trying to match thread) and one that is move olive green. 

Here is an A-4 flight suit along with a B-1 cap and the A-8 helmet. The material in there is wool gabardine I dyed. It looks brown in the pics but it is more of an olive or khaki green. The is some dappled sun in there to show how the shade changes based on lighting. I put some typing paper in there if you want to do some color correction. I tried on my phone but that was futile.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail1.jpg

thumbnail2.jpg

The sun and white background makes the A-8 look even more khaki. In truth all of these colors are close to each other and fading might be the only real difference.

Dave 

thumbnail4.jpg

thumbnail5.jpg

thumbnail3.jpg

Hi! Thanks! I think the uniform fabric I have looks more like your dyed stuff. That is a super funky colour on that A-8. I really appreciate the help! I think I'll just make it with my green pants fabric, since I don't think I have anything like this in particular. The pants fabric I have is more brown than green when matching thread. You look at it and think OD, but then when you really look at it, it seems more brown. This has been interesting! 

I'm actually making a small one for my 18" doll (to replace the terrible store-bought one):

august-28-2018-53.jpg?1620336011

My GGGUncle Harold is wearing an A-8 in a picture I have of him, and that's why I want to repro one for my Harold doll. :) 

Haroldsmall.JPG.a038eb017d39d3591f87c247e8c33ad9.JPG