1900s Coast Artillery cross-section: Fort Stevens, Oregon

agate hunter

Though I have a fondness for many eras and items, a favorite is Pacific Northwest Coast Artillery items, particularly the Coast/Harbor Defenses of the Columbia River.

Shown here is a cross section of items typical of a soldier at Fort Stevens, Oregon, circa 1905. At this time the 34th and 93rd Companies, Coast Artillery, were stationed at the fort.

The 1885 dress blue coat is named to a soldier who served in the 93rd Company at Ft Stevens from 1902-1905. He served one enlistment as a Private, thus no sleeve insignia. There would have been collar insignia on the uniform, but I did not have any loose 93rd Co. collar cannons to display with it, only a 93rd Co. cap badge that is displayed with the 1902 pattern cap, which is itself unnamed.

The Dance Card is from New Year's Eve 1904 at Ft Stevens.

The pennant is typical of the 1900s-10s timeframe. 

The photograph of two young women the soldier may have known was taken in Astoria, Oregon, a nearby city.

At the beginning of the 20th Century the Coast Artillery was a burgeoning branch of the army, featuring the latest advances in technology, including ordnance, electricity, and telephony. Service in the CA brought young soldiers to many harbor areas of our country and some abroad. After having exited the exciting times of the Spanish American War and the Philippine Insurrection, service in the now mostly peaceful army was an adventure of highs and lows, and often drudgery. Garrison and guard duty filled the time, with the occasional target practice and annual summer encampments to add flavor to the year's duties. Every soldier's experience was different. I like to find and display items that help tell some of those stories.

IMG_6314.JPG.a9a2b5af3b79e995cd88ea2edc8cc900.JPG

IMG_6307.JPG.839d7958cd0fd4c492b4e08d1c3d9537.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG.725fdc0338c9b587eb427044a7b02810.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG.d0bc4126037f26dc46f85487e1c11dc2.JPG

Very, very nice assembly of items from your collection.  I too love the early 20th century era.  Thanks for posting these.

• 1 month later...

Sweet. You could say I dig this branch of service and time period. I have some similar stuff.  The CAC was a good place to land after some time in the cavalry or infantry for those inclined to re-enlist or make it a career.  No more leading the horsies to water and raking manure.  I have some effects of a guy who was in the 8th Cav in the Apache campaigns then went CAC. Alas the CAC guys were used as infantry in the Phillipines and in China in 1900 (Tientsin). Finally he got to the real CAC and served out his last decade as a real coastal artillery soldier; baking and cooking -- which was his pre and post service occupation as well.