The Military Order of the Dragon China 1900 & The Society of the Army of Santiago 1898. ID’d; Capt. George R. Greene #648 & #888.

Bill Griffin

Bill Griffin

I wanted to share a medal grouping I have from the Spanish American War period.  THESE MEDALS ARE NOT FOR SALE.  The Order of the Dragon medal is marked; "George Ross Greene U.S.A. No. 648". The Army of Santiago Metal is engraved; "Captain George R. Greene No. 888".  I only have very slight knowledge about this soldier who received both of these medals.  I would appreciate any details someone might discover about his service or military record. Thanks….

MVC-012S.JPG

MVC-013S.JPG

MVC-014S.JPG

There is a Colonel George R. Greene in the 1918 Army Register.  He served as a Private and Corporal in the 9th Infantry Regiment in 1900 before being commissioned.  Assuming he is the same man as the George R. Greene named on the medals, that probably supports his membership in the Military Order of the Dragon.

Col George R. Greene also served in the AEF.  I believe he deployed as the CO of the 20th FA (5th Division) and was later transfered to the 88th Div to command the 337th FA.

Dennis

Bill,

Fantastic group.  I would imagine there can't be many groups that include both those medals.  They are in beautiful condition as well.  Thanks for posting them.

Dennis