Ref Thread: Philippines Campaign Medal (PI Insurrection)

Jack's Son

stratasfan
Message added by stratasfan,

The Philippine Campaign Medal (Philippine Insurrection) is a medal of the United States Armed Forces which was created to denote service of U.S. military members in the Philippine-American War between the years of 1899 and 1913.

Established on January 12, 1905, the Philippine Campaign Medal recognizes U.S. military personnel who served in the Philippine-American War between 1899 and 1913. With distinct criteria from the United States Navy version of the award, the US Army version was created by the United States Department of War.

Any member of the United States Armed Forces who served in an onshore campaign in the Philippines was eligible to receive the award. Authorized service dates for the Philippine Campaign Medal span from February 4, 1899 to December 31, 1913. Below are the terms of service designated for the award’s issuance:

-All actions that took place in the Philippine islands from February 4, 1899 to July 4, 1902.
-Service carried out in the Department of Mindanao from February 4, 1899 to December 31, 1904.
-Military action on the island of Samar from August 2, 1904 to June 30, 1907.
-Military action against Pala on the island of Jolo from April to May, 1905.
-Military action against Datu Ali on the island of Mindanao during October 1905.
-Military action against enemy Moro groups on Mount Bud-Dajo on the island of Jolo during March 1906.
-Action carried out on Leyte Island against the Pulajanes from July 20, 1906 to June 30, 1907.
-Military action against enemy Moro groups on the island of Mindanao or Jolo from 1910 to 1913.
-Military action against enemy Moro groups on Mount Bagsac on the island of Jolo from January to July, 1913.
-All actions in which a US service member was either wounded or killed from February 4, 1899 to December 31, 1913.

The medallion for the award is bronze and features a palm tree centered between a Roman lamp and a set of scales. The images are encircled by text that reads “PHILIPPINE INSURRECTION” and the numeral “1899.” The reverse of the medal features an eagle atop flags, a cannon, and weaponry. Thirteen stars form a semicircle on the lower half of the medallion, and text reads “UNITED STATES ARMY” on the upper half as well as “FOR SERVICE” below the eagle. the ribbon is blue with a vertical red stripe toward each edge.

The Army authorized both the Philippine Campaign and Mexican Service medals to be engraved with the recipient's date(s) of qualifying service. The dates are typically hand-engraved and may include multiple years.

*The Philippine Campaign Medal was issued only once even in instances of personnel who participated in multiple eligible campaigns.

• 2 months later...

bellphill022_1.jpg bellphill020_1.jpg

I just picked this one up the other day.Philippine Campaign medal no.202

Brig.General William M.Wallace

He was the Commander of the 15th Cavalry as a Col.in the Philippines.I have not had a chance to do further research.Thanks for looking.Robert

• 3 months later...

Greetings to everyone!

I'm doing my best to keep my sanity with everything I hold dear boxed away. Hoping for a fast sell of my house and the glorious unpacking!

Thought I'd post a pic of a nice U.S. Mint strike of the USN Philippine Campaign I've had for several years, I'd guesstimate the same era as the similarly titled U.S. Mint USN Expeditionary medal? I really think the finish on these is quite nice. One of these days I hope to get a nice numbered USN U.S. Mint boxed example. I know they're out there. If you have one please feel free to post it here!

Best wishes to all,

Joe

post-48324-1319315534.jpg

• 1 year later...

Recently scored this boxed Joseph Mayer example of the PI Campaign Medal, improperly pictured and listed on ebay. Interesting unprefixed rim numbered Philippine Campaign Medal. The box label dates it to 1930, and also has a serial number stamped on it that matches the rim number.

post-297-0-27925600-1351217034.jpg

phil.2.png

phil.3.png

Since I am quite literally the worst photographer there ever was, this "rim shot" will attest to that. The number matches that which is stamped on the box label shown in post number one.

phil.4.png

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...
bunkerhillburning

hey gang,

Did some searching online for Philippine Insurrection Medals and how to learn the name of a recipient. No luck, but a few links back to the forum. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Medal is numbered M. No. 3354.

post-64023-0-61823700-1527804364_thumb.jpg