Pal RH-36 plastic grip spacer significance?

lambo35

Is there any time period significance, such as pre-war, war time, post-war to the color/number of plastic spacers at either end of the leather hand grip on these knives? I have seen several combinations of these plastic spacers at each end; 1 red, 2 red, 1 black, 1 red and black at each end, red and black with thinner metal spacers bracketing each color.

Thanx.

Chuck.

In my opinion and observation there is no significance in colored spacers. You will find both red and/or black on what I consider early production bright blades. Production had shifted towards parked blades and they too have red and black spacers. Those with what you refer to as having thinner metal spacers are actually brass, these I believe to be pre-war production types, possibly inter-war. 

PAL bought the Remington knife production in January 1941, and seems to have ceased making fixed knives late 1945/early 1946...On the RH 36 they didn't change the pattern, just added their PAL name to the knife.  There are no records (at least none have been found) showing how many were made and how many were sold to the Army.  Lacking any other information, it seems safe to assume that any PAL RH 36 is WW2 era, regardless of blade finish and use of washers.  As to whether they were carried in the ETO,. PTO, CBI, or North Africa/Sicily/Italy it depends upon the provenance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I got a PAL RH-36 bright blade listed online, locally and real cheap too. I started doing a little research on them and found that many of the blades vary in size, from under 6" to 6.5". Mine is 6 1/4". I think the extra 1/4 inch caused some busted stitches on the leather sheath. I think this knife has the most colorful spacers of all the variations that I've seen. I thought I'd post it on this thread because of the spacers in the topic. I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes by posting it here. Here's a photo:

304267558_PALRH-36.jpg.7d1fd38800dfbac58a5fb0758d25ce83.jpg

I also bought three other knives along with it. The other, more significant one is a 1917 Plumb bolo in pretty good condition.