Tiger tops

AK101

I was able to acquire 2 tiger tops and a non ripstop ERDL from the son of a SOG RT vet

Only the pic of the golds came out good,  I'll snap a new pic of the other tops

239959541_4249728485075985_2945206241905054437_n.jpg

239581906_4249732891742211_1927765152117815878_n.jpg

11 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

Wow, nice.  That is the same top he’s wearing in the photo.

Yessir    I knew his son but never got to meet Don.

eyewitnessstatement (1).jpg

239609925_4249724265076407_400724324365330038_n.jpg

DonSheppardwAK47e.jpg

29 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

Wow! That's a great find. I know little of "SOG" knives. Any details about that one?

Dave

As best I can tell,  sterile w/ fat iron guard and black spacers.  Guard is certainly bigger than my other two SOGS

4 hours ago, AK101 said:

As best I can tell,  sterile w/ fat iron guard and black spacers.  Guard is certainly bigger than my other two SOGS

Looks like it has the sharpening stone in the sheath too - is it two-tone?  Dark / light gray on alternating sides?

10 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

Looks like it has the sharpening stone in the sheath too - is it two-tone?  Dark / light gray on alternating sides?

I had my other two sogs out and was comparing sheath types and I do recall noticing one of them was two tone.  I don't recall which and won't be home to check for at least 36 hours.  What's the significance?   thanks

The sharpening stones are frequently missing, so it’s nice to have one; and, the originals that I’ve seen are the two-tone examples.

It’s nice to have that statement from Eldon Bargewell.  He went on to have quite a career in Special Operations, retiring at the rank of Major General.  Here are some photos of MG Bargewell in-country (many more available online), and portions of his obituary, both from Find A Grave:

”Major General (MG) Eldon Arthur Bargewell, 71, of Eufaula, Alabama, died Monday, April 29, 2019, at his home”

“Born August 13, 1947, in Hoquiam, Washington, MG Bargewell was the son of the late Arthur E. and Lillian Audrey Konizeski Bargewell. MG Bargewell's long and very distinguished military career began in 1967 when he enlisted in the U.S. Army. MG Bargewell has served in several Special Forces and Special Operations units, which included; command of special operations units operating in the Middle East, El Salvador, Operation JUST CAUSE (Panama), DESERT STORM (Iraq), RESTORE DEMOCRACY and ALLIED FORCE (Bosnia/Kosovo); and as Director of Operations for Operations Restore Hope (Haiti), Enduring Freedom-NATO (Afghanistan) and Iraqi Freedom (Iraq). Other assignments included Commander of 1st Special Operations Forces Operational Detachment-Delta (SFOD-D) and key positions within Special Operations Command-Europe (SOCEUR); Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC); and US Special Operations Command (USSOCOM). During the Vietnam War, MG Bargewell attained the rank of Staff Sergeant (SSG) and was accepted into MACV-SOG where he served at the "Command and Control North (CCN)" launch site at Da Nang and served as Non-Commissioned Officer Team Leader for Reconnaissance Team "Viper". During his two tours in SOG as a Non-Commissioned Officer Team Leader, SSG Bargewell conducted over 25 recon, direct action and team recovery missions into Laos and North Viet Nam. During a cross-border mission on September 27, 1971, where his team was ambushed by a greater enemy force, his actions in saving his team and getting them to safety even though he was gravely wounded, earned him the Distinguished Service Cross. Shortly after returning from Vietnam in 1972, SSG Bargewell attended the U.S. Army Officers' Candidate School (OCS) from which he graduated as the Leadership Honor Graduate of OCS class 3-73 in April 1973. In 1981, Captain Bargewell was selected for assignment to Delta Force where he served as Operations Officer, Squadron Executive Officer, Troop and Squadron Commander (twice), Deputy Commander, and finally, unit Commander. Upon selection to Brigadier General in 1998, he was assigned as the Commanding General, Special Operations Command Europe (SOCEUR) in Stuttgart, Germany with the mission to provide trained and equipped Special Operations units for employment in Africa and Europe; with focus on Bosnia, and Kosovo. While commanding the Joint Special Operations Task Force (JSOTF) Noble Anvil during Operation ALLIED FORCE in Serbia, MG Bargewell provided Combat Search and Rescue forces and is credited with several operations, to include the rescues of two shot down USAF pilots. From 2000 to 2001, MG Bargewell served as the Assistant Chief of Staff for Operations, Stabilization Force Headquarters (SFOR), Sarajevo, Bosnia, responsible for operational actions against Persons Indicted for War Crimes. Following his JSOTF Noble Anvil command, MG Bargewell served as the Director of the Center for Special Operations, Plans, and Policy, USSOCOM, Florida before being assigned as the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations at Allied Joint Force Command (NATO) Brunssum, Netherlands. During this assignment, he also served as the Commanding General for the NATO RESPONSE FORCE and was the senior US Military Representative to the US Ambassador in the Netherlands. MG Bargewell's final assignment on active duty was as the Director of Strategic Operations at HQ's Multi-National Force-Iraq in Baghdad (2005-2006). MG Bargewell retired January 1, 2007, after serving more than 39 years in the U.S. Army with more than 29 years in Special Operations. At the time of his retirement, he was believed to be the most highly decorated Soldier on active duty.”

AFEEDF32-2F45-448E-B0CC-B5B2614AC70A.jpeg

57914F15-A09F-4B2C-A052-91358EA1CBC4.jpeg

B7490DB6-EF6F-4B95-8A83-F5C3097848BB.jpeg

AK101,

Great catch, well documented group. Congrats bud.

The SOG knife is indeed the Sterile Iron Guard. Sheath is Original and of the type that most often came with the Sterile Iron Guards. Stone doesn’t need to be of the two-part tone Type, they were issued with other Types as well.

Best

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I
On 8/24/2021 at 3:49 AM, Blacksmith said:

Here are some photos of MG Bargewell in-country (many more available online), and portions of his obituary, both from Find A Grave:

57914F15-A09F-4B2C-A052-91358EA1CBC4.jpeg

Bargewell.jpg.7a5a8630f8743d3819d016b4bc7dc968.jpg

Coincidentally this photo of SGT Edlon Bargewell was actually taken by SGT Donald Shepard and shared by his son on another forum.