Small Pre-WWII Chief Yeoman

PatLaabs

I recently picked up a Pre-WWII Chief Yeoman in a patch lot off of ebay and when comparing it to all of my other Pre-WWII rates (only 2 pictured out of many) I noticed that it was smaller than the others. I read John Stacey's book trying to find anything about it possibly being a female rate but from what I read female rates were smaller but didn't appear until 1943, which is well after all non-seaman rates became left arm rates and had the eagle head change directions. The difference in size isn't too drastic and I'm inclined to believe it's just a manufacturers variation.

Thoughts?

20210822_150015.jpg

20210822_150048.jpg

21 hours ago, navyman said:

It was just trimmed or folded to that size by the looks of it

That's what I initially thought too but the stripes and eagle appear to be smaller as well. Not by much but noticeably smaller, atleast I think so.

1 hour ago, navyman said:

I'm not sure if the size of the yeoman  insignia was any different in ww1 on the females uniforms.

From what I was reading it wasn't and they just wore regular male rates. I dunno. Just thought it was an interesting variation and that maybe I was missing some sort of context. It's just strange that all my other Pre-WWII rates are basically the same size.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is just a manufacturer's variation. The color of thread and chevrons was used from 1914 until maybe early 1930s. I don't believe it is a Yeoman (F), and obviously too early for Navy WAVES.

On 9/3/2021 at 2:35 PM, David Minton said:

I think it is just a manufacturer's variation. The color of thread and chevrons was used from 1914 until maybe early 1930s. I don't believe it is a Yeoman (F), and obviously too early for Navy WAVES.

I'm thinking the same thing. It's cool seeing variations of the rates sometimes.