Swapmeet & Antique Store Finds: Tent Poles

pwcosol

Finally, after the previous five lackluster weekends at the local swapmeet (inclement weather being the primary culprit), this past weekend produced some results. After finding a few sockets and minor tools, acquired the lot of US Army instruction manuals and TMs pictured. What is nice is all are original prints, with slick paper and clear pictures. They date from 1941 to about 1954. In addition to these, there was a somewhat larger pile of periodicals from early 1950s to 1960s dealing with arms and ammunition, trapping, hunting, survival and civil defense/nuclear awareness/safety...and all for only $5.! Also got a clean .30 standard ammo can for the same amount from the vendor. After departing the swapper, I headed for a antique store to hunt down a lead I had been given the week prior, about a box of military tent poles. When I arrived, I asked the whereabouts of said box and was informed it was right behind me against the wall. After looking over the contents, made an offer for the lot at $45. ($10. lower than the list price, which was accepted and after tax, cost me $50. OTD. There are ten sets of 3-joint pegs, with half of them having brass metal fittings and pins and the other half galvanized steel. A few of the pegs have issues like a missing locator pin, and one set with a very warped, bottom wood pole (2nd from right in photos). None the less, for $5.00 each, was quite pleased with my good fortune (for a change)! BTW, the wooden box the poles came in looks very much like a 2-can crate for ammo like .308, etc. Actually it was used to ship car batteries...

Manuals and TMs 1.JPG

Manuals and TMs 2.JPG

Three Joint Tent Pegs 1.JPG

Three Joint Tent Pegs 2.JPG

eaglerunner88

Very nice, I'm assuming you can't find any markings/dates on the tent poles? Easily $20-25 a pop per pole "retail". Don't WWI poles use brass hardware?  

Thanks gents for your comments. Re: the tent poles...most have good ink markings. The others have weak or no markings. The ones with brass fittings are dated 1941 and the galvanized steel '42 or later. Also note numerous variations regarding the end of the top pole. Earliest ones are just rounded wood with a stud sticking out. Then they turned down the wood pole at the end to add the brass (later steel) reinforcement ring. Have one odd example with a blunt cap with stud on the end instead.