What is this thing? Found with 24th Sep. Co. back pack

I just acquired a back pack marked 24th Sep. Co. (NY inside) and a haversack. But this was with them. I have no idea what it is, or if it has anything to do with the Civil War. Can anyone give me some input on this? Thanks so much.

CW1.jpg

CW2.jpg

CW4.jpg

CW5.jpg

I can honestly say I have never seen anything remotely like it. If it's military,  someone on this forum will know what it is.

Good luck with the ID. 

Mikie

The metal tube, just above the fluted wood base, is 3" in diameter. I didn't know if it was a container for a shell, or someting like that? But I can't imagine what the wood end would be for. It's just odd. But someone obviously kept the three items together deliberately. Weird!

yes,a fired 3 in.canister projectile.i'd say 1890's period,i'll look in my books for the nomenclature....................dave

I found an image online of a Confederate 12lb cannister shot. It looks similar to this including the exterior color. I am having trouble downloading the image, but I think you guys are right about the cannister shot case. I hope we can get a positive ID and date range! Thanks for all the help so far.

CavalryCombatant

Found this one online, looks extremely similar.  

From the description:

SOLD! for $576.00.

(Note: Prices realized include a buyer's premium.)

If you have items like this you wish to consign, click here for more information:

SELLING WITH CASE

Low Estimate: $300.00

High Estimate: $350.00

Realized: $576.00

Share this:

U.S. Civil War Canister Round or Oval Grape Projector for 3-inch ordnance rifles, this example likely used for the Parrott rifle. Intact with the exception of the powder bag which would have been on the back of the sabot. 8 1/2" L. Approx. 10 pounds. 3rd quarter 19th century. Provenance: Private Florida collection. CONDITION: Powder bag not present. General wear consistent with age.

Might be different though.

Edit: Looking back, yours might be bigger.

image.jpeg