Small personal grouping Col. Glenn E Duncan, 353rd Fighter Group, 8th US Airforce

Fleur_vd_Kemp

Fleur_vd_Kemp

During the war both my grandparents were in the resistance, they were active in receiving and hiding Allied pilots who had crashed in occupied territory. Later this group was given the name 'the escape". My grandparents lived in Babberich close to the German border, my great-grandfather was with the border guard (customs) so he was protected by his papers. This did not make the work less dangerous. My grandparents gave shelter to several US, Canadian and British pilots including Colonel Glenn E. Duncan of the 353rd fighter group, 8th US airforce. 

Col. Glenn E Duncan

It was one month after D-Day, July 7, 1944, and Col. Glenn Duncan was leading his Group, the 353rd, on a diversion from the bombers. As he roared over the airfield, German flak gunners aimed their deadly 88mm anti-aircraft guns at his P-47 Thunderbolt. They found the range and hit his plane in an oil line, a certainly crippling wound to the big fighter, as its Pratt & Whitney radial would soon overheat. Duncan knew that he wouldn't get far, but fought for altitude, so that he could get as far West as possible, hopefully out of Germany. He didn't make it. Other pilots of the Group followed him and saw him belly in near Nienburg on the Weser near Hannover. As he walked away from the plane, he tossed an incendiary grenade into it, denying the Germans their prize. He kept walking towards Holland.

Dutch underground

After a walk of a month he got to Nieuwweerdinge in Drenthe, Dutch ground. There the work of the Dutch underground started.

a long journey past many addresses came to Ulft where the group called “Capetti” named after the passed away doctor in Ulft handed Duncan over to the Smits family in Babberich.

the intention was that from there an attempt would be made via a crossing over the Rhine to bring Duncan back to its own lines that were then still far in France. Glenn got in the living room an emergency bed. In the middle of the night they got a visit from a half dazed SS-er from the front in Pannerden came and demanded housing for his men who had yet to come. Glenn got hiden under the floor, but the Germans never came back.

Since the situation was no longer found to be safe, Glenn was placed with the Derksen family in Osenwaard. There was also a Canadian pilot Johnny Warren awaiting a 2nd attempt to cross the Rhine. The first attempt failed were the group crossers got away from the Germans with a lot of luck. Warren got temporarily placed with the Smits family and later went tot he Derksen family for a second attempt. That second attempt never came. On february the 22nd 1945 Lobith and Ossenwaard needed to evacuate. The whole Derksen Family including Glenn and Johnny went to Angerlo also by a family named Derksen. Warren came after many wanderings in Velp by the family Besseling were he got liberated on april 20th 1945.

Colonel Duncan tried with a lot a lot of shelters even in Castle Rechteren in Hummelo to escape to allied ground that in the meantime had progressed to the great rivers. From a village north of Arnhem he managed on april 20 1945 to return to his base Raydon in Suffolk.

After the war my great-grandfather Harry Smits kept in touch with Glenn he was very curious if he and the other pilots who had been with him survived the war. All decorations (remembrance crosses and Croix du combattant de L'Europe) and other documents are present in my collection, I also have the letter, envelope and attached photos that Glenn sent just after the war. This is a special set that I can have in my collection! 

EDIT-Brief-set.png

EDIT-Voorkant.png

EDIT-Achterkant.png

Brief President Eisenhower.png

Brief Air Chief Marshal.png

Croix du combatant document.jpg

Onderscheiding oma.png

onderscheiding opa.png

Fleur_vd_Kemp
On 8/21/2021 at 8:07 PM, MAW said:

Wow.

I have an extensive group from the pilot that was flying as Duncan’s wingman when he was shot down.  This is spectacular to me.

That's really special to hear! What is the pilots name? I'm really curious to know more

His name was Grover McGlaughlin, a pilot with the 353rd.  He actually thought about landing and trying to pick Duncan up at the time.  

Fleur_vd_Kemp
On 8/24/2021 at 5:01 PM, AustinO said:

If you have not seen it, here is Duncan's Escape and Evasion report: 

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/5557569

Yes I've seen this report. My greatgrandfather is mentioned on page 2 as "man in Babberik in Uniform" We think Duncan didn't mention his name out of protection. Because the night Duncan was staying at my family they had a house search by a SS soldier. And this report was put together on april 18, 1945 at that time the Netherlands was not fully liberated.