If I have these patches sewn on, will it affect the value?

Guest NoahC

I collected uniforms as a kid. Nothing specific, just what I found interesting. Someone gave me their late relatives Ike Jacket and patches that belonged to the individual that had been taken off for whatever reason. I was unsure what affect it would have on the value if I had the patches sewn on so they’ve just been safety pinned in place. All patches are WWII era and original to the wearer of the uniform. Would it affect the value (good or bad) if I had the patches sewn on? 

If you ever sell just be honest about what you have done.

In my mind as long as nothing is destroyed in the process everything will retain its individual value.

If you can get any photos, papers, dog tags and the like then the price will go up.

3 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

So the patches are original to the jacket, but were removed, and you are considering sewing them back on?

Yes the patches are original to the wearer of the jacket. I’d like to sew them back on. I’m asking if I do that, will it hurt the value of the jacket

3 hours ago, manayunkman said:

If you ever sell just be honest about what you have done.

In my mind as long as nothing is destroyed in the process everything will retain its individual value.

If you can get any photos, papers, dog tags and the like then the price will go up.

Thank you for your opinion!