Tropic Thunder, the movie

gwb123

Manchu Warrior

If I thought the movie was supposed to be serious I would have been mortified but the movie was as stupidly funny as I thought it would be. thumbsup.gif

It was a stupid movie, yes, but don't take it for more than that...it wasn't a war documentary, it wasn't a war movie, it was a movie about a war movie.

Exactly, it was a movie playing a movie disguised as another movie.

Gil,

Out of Curiosity, what were you expecting out of the movie? It was written by Ben Stiller and Jack Black is in it...

I had higher hopes. They picked a really good subject and could have done so much with it and still been funnier than hell.

And as I said earlier, they did get some good laughs out of it. But in the end, I thought it was chaotic and overblown, with too many inside jokes.

If you want a comparison of a parody of show business, compare it to The Producers.

I am sure they made their money on it. I opened this thread with my opinion, but we have plenty of people who disagree. But at least now we've had a discussion of it on this Forum, which is something that was not done before. Thanks to all who spoke up!

Anders Heintz

Yeah I can understand the feeling of disapointment when one have high hopes for a film. Personally I was really looking forward to the Alexander the Great movie that came out a few years ago. I've read a lot about Alexander and his life and was stoked to see the movie released. Then after watching the movie in the theatre (unusual for me!) I was disgusted. Granted in the 3rd release of the flick they finally got it somewhat right. But the original theatre release was horrible.

As for other war comedies and comparisons...how about Hot Shots? Kind of the same category of movie.

I loved Tropic Thunder. It is easily the funniest movie I have seen in at least ten years. I've never been a fan of Ben Stiller or Jack Black, but I absolutely loved them in this film. I think it's a pretty good testament to the quality of this movie when I could seriously enjoy watching two guys I'd never enjoyed much in the past.

Tom Cruise dancing to Flo-Rida is one of funniest damn things I've ever seen.

Now, excuse me while I go back to reading my copy of G5 Owners magazine :lol:

I havnt seen it, but it is designed as a comedy. People have been making war comedies for years, Mash, Dad's army, Troop 101 or whatever it was called, they are just light hearted fun

I thought it was very funny & entertaining. You just had to shut

your mind off & enjoy it.

Also, I think swag had the best post on this thread...Genius!

Troy

AAH! !! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! !

Thank you all for the most recent posts. What a relief, I thought some of these folks were going to pack so much sand in this thing it would not fit into the return slot at block buster.

Yeah I can understand the feeling of disapointment when one have high hopes for a film. Personally I was really looking forward to the Alexander the Great movie that came out a few years ago. I've read a lot about Alexander and his life and was stoked to see the movie released. Then after watching the movie in the theatre (unusual for me!) I was disgusted. Granted in the 3rd release of the flick they finally got it somewhat right. But the original theatre release was horrible.

As for other war comedies and comparisons...how about Hot Shots? Kind of the same category of movie.

My wife and daughter both have degrees in classics and history. I have never heard so much ranting and raving about how bad a movie was until after they had seen Alexander the Great. And they had been equally pumped up to see it.

Another one that left me scratching my head was Troy. Overall I liked it, but if I recall they boiled down ten years of protracted warfare to three months or some similarly shortened period. Nothing like rewriting the legend!