16th BS or 819th Exp. Air Refueling Squadron

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

I’m sure this is a question for Randy......

Is this a 16th Bomb Squadron or a 60’s Italian made 916th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron patch?

AD6383D8-C06A-458C-832C-8011309AA686.jpeg

Bob, WW 2 is not really my area. But, the 916th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron was not activated until 2003. The 916 AREFS used into the 80s was a totally different design (attached). The 16 BMS appears to have been in the Pacific only, and that was very late in the war. The construction of this patch appears postwar to me, maybe 60s as you suggested but I do not think it's authentic. A shot of the back could help see where it was made.

Randy

916arefs.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have an extensive bomb squadron  / AREFS  patch collection that covers the 50s to late 70s and not one example looks like your patch construction. For me its just wrong for a late 50's patch where as Randy's 916th example is spot on for the unit at that time.  Typically units who after the war carried on with the B29 kept the large 5 inch design, by the mid 50's - early 60's patches shrank to a standard 4 inchs. some went as small as 3.5inchs.

What I find interesting is the orange stitching on the ring, looks like its chain , but then the use of long threads. Like Randy I would want to see the back of the patch. 

Easty