Josten of Owatonna, MN: examples and patterns

Marty, since these aren't in my personal collection I can't check in person but if I look at Cliff's photos of his senior balloon pilot it looks like you can draw a line straight through the star and it aligns with the center of the balloon basket.  But I can totally see where it would be an optical illusion with the shape of the balloon and the lines on the design.  

12 hours ago, rustywings said:

I'm not certain these none-hallmarked Balloon related wings were specifically made by Josten? But you do have me leaning in that direction. Especially when you consider those unique Josten-style pins applied to the reverse. Marty, thanks for sharing your images and thoughts on their origin.

Josten Balloon Observer 1.jpg

Josten Balloon Observer 2.jpg

Strictly for the purpose of comparing the image posted above by Russ, Bob Schwartz's website also shows some front and back images of a Josten back-marked Balloon Observer badge summited by James Reddish. See:

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/balloon/reddishaafballoonobserver.shtml

reddish_1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here is another new one to me, a Bombardier wing made from a Josten pattern observer wing.  The attached bomb matches those used on the Lampl Bombardier wings, but the one on this wing has been curved to drape over the face of the wing.  

Josten Bombardier front.jpg

Josten Bombardier rear.jpg

I have one of these as well but mine is missing the roller catch.  Notice the thickness of the pin at the hinge which I've only seen with Josten wings.

On 8/28/2010 at 5:41 PM, rustywings said:

Note the thicker block portion of the pin inserted into the hinge. The Josten-made T/O wing illustrated in Jon Maguire's book has the identical unique pin. (Ok, Ill stop and take my medicine!)

IMG_1497_crop.jpg

if these were mine i could straighten the pins out