2021 Finds - A Year In Review

Airborne-Hunter

California is certainly the place to be! Watching where people get get stuff, CA is definitely great!

On 8/17/2021 at 10:58 PM, Airborne-Hunter said:

May 2, 2021 - Japanese paperweights in bring home box - Flea Market 

IMG_2777 (2).JPG

So, is the box from WWII, too?

On 8/17/2021 at 11:13 PM, Airborne-Hunter said:

June 6, 2021 - Coast Guard Group - Flea Market

6-6-21 Coast Guard Group.jpg

Love this! USCG is so fun and don't see it as much on here! Love the sleeve shields and the insignia!

Airborne-Hunter
14 hours ago, stratasfan said:

California is certainly the place to be! Watching where people get get stuff, CA is definitely great!

So, is the box from WWII, too?

Love this! USCG is so fun and don't see it as much on here! Love the sleeve shields and the insignia!

California is usually pretty good, but this is a lot of footwork and effort.

The cardboard box is actually dated 1945 and was used to send them home.

• 2 weeks later...

Yard sales are like treasure hunts, you never know what you will find. A great find will keep you going back for more. Most of the time you are lucky to just make a purchase without any history. The DFC at the time of the purchase was unknown to be numbered until back home. Enjoy!

AAF Lot a.JPG

Air Medal b.JPG

DFC #16405 b.JPG

DFC #16405 c.JPG

Bracelet Center.JPG

Another yard sale find from a Desert Storm Vet. He claimed that he received all of the medals pictured. The Navy Cross after some research, I don't believe was his, as his name is not on the list. Maybe a misunderstanding on my part. A great group just the same. All was in a ziplock bag in the trash for next day service. I was at the right place and right time.

Palmerton Lot a $40 8-21.jpg

Palmerton lot b.jpg

I was on a cruise on the upper Mediterranean. Made a short stop at Gibraltar. A very interesting place. This lot of what appears to be English WW2 period patches was found in a little shop for a great price of less than $20. Made the vacation cruise a memory to remember.

Gibraltar Patch Lot a $20 10-18.JPG

Gibraltar Patch Lot b 10-18.JPG

A nice little WW1 document set I obtained from a yard sale follow-up. PVT Marion Gheer Co I, 28th Div, AEF was KIA October 8th 1918. The documents were received without insignia. I am enjoying looking for the correct insignia to complete the set. The family had no-one to leave this to, I was happy to help. A picture of his head stone is attached.1824778417_KIAa25.JPG.16134f1a2d08b45347d10facdd0cbdc2.JPG 

KIA b.JPG

KIA c.JPG

Marion Gheer (1890-1918) - Find A Grave Memorial.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Airborne-Hunter

Its been a little bit of a dry spell over here. Been seeing plenty including a lot of German, but my big mouth talked the families into keeping the stuff both times. I did pick up a few pieces here and there. For starters, here's a Japanese naval hat with what I presume to be an ID badge that my dad found at an estate sale on September 10, for the whopping sum of $10. After he got it home, he found a small Japanese flag inside (not shown - its being flattened). Best ABN

IMG_5165 (2).JPG

IMG_5166 (2).JPG

IMG_5167 (2).JPG

Airborne-Hunter

Last one for today, but several exciting things soon on the horizon. September 29, 2021. I loaned money to a guy I know two months ago or so and in the interim, he goes to an estate sale three hours away and finds these and brings them to me. Best ABN

IMG_5161 (2).JPG

IMG_5162 (2).JPG

Something to brag about. I went to a yard sale today. The lady was cleaning out the house to sell. There was a dumpster out front. I asked the lady if I could look in the dumpster, as they were throwing away stuff that could easily sell at the yard sale. She said I could take what ever I find. I found this gem, I couldn’t believe what I found after moving a few things around. A great memory and story to tell. This is an 8 day clock, I had a key for it and it keeps perfect time. I think it is 1970’s vintage.

DSC04768.jpg

Russian Submarine Clock (1970) b.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

October 3, 2021 - I went to one of my favorite flea markets and walking an isle for the 2nd pass at 7:55 in the morning I spotted this Japanese helmet sitting on the table and the American helmet was sitting next to it. It was a good deal, but also both were sitting out in the open fair game for everyone. The stuff is out there. 

IMG_7350.JPG

It took me several years just to find a Japanese helmet. It wasn't cheap but I didn't know when I'd see another. And is sovietski actually a word. 

• 2 months later...