ALCAN HIghway Chaplain

644td

A special thank you to a member here that held onto this hemet from me. He waited patiently on me for 2 years as life got in the way and money was tight. I don’t show all of my helmets but the unknown story of the AlCAN Hwy I thought needed to be told.

This helmet is an unmolested original set named to CH Captain Howard K. Hilner. Chaplain Hilner did not serve in the ETO or PTO but served State Side and in the ALCAN Highway. The helmet is a McCord fixed loop with a St Clair liner. This is an excellent example of a war time helmet. The Captains name is on the hemet and on the sweatband of the liner.

FCB7B6BB-72CC-47F9-BD84-7CBE3425B074.jpeg

02C41C1D-13D7-43A9-9299-FBCBC67FAE93.jpeg

F8F5455D-E04D-41F1-B260-81F4EE509EC1.jpeg

3F00CE66-C9BE-4B49-AA05-E0E3819D9675.jpeg

E69ADF61-0D89-4A2B-A1A9-817A6F5247E0.jpeg

F9CEB7E9-7B1E-46D2-8E94-D4A51E8C210E.jpeg

681539D4-638D-4AD1-BF90-F43A7BA4D70D.jpeg

D55E864F-34D5-4AE4-BBDD-4C1AC3889472.jpeg

195E1ED1-4139-41EA-8691-474A41E289D9.jpeg

248A2D06-73BF-4E0B-8DE2-FE49B2F2A2E4.jpeg

A9E586E2-37B0-4CD5-8909-4ED0BD581D02.jpeg

A61F6DB6-529D-41CA-9D0F-63D043D49CCC.jpeg

B877483F-3942-43BE-B08C-C3D7419408CC.jpeg

FC465BA6-8B97-4929-BCA5-F7DFA8C9038F.jpeg

2F95C75B-94A0-4B1A-B27C-2905B88AA076.jpeg

4AD97F88-7C1D-4C7B-A3EC-973030D27625.jpeg

4D331C97-0F4A-4ED4-9A99-7478F280EF46.jpeg

I love this one Marty as said on other forums. Lesser know “part” of WWII. Do we ever stop learning about it? I don’t think so. Nice to see it

Z

Only photo that has been found of him. The photo is post WW2 when he was serving in the NG. The photo was provided by Bob Nay. 
  Hilner earned the Asian Pacific Campaign medal.  From what I can determine and I can not confirm this but I’ve concluded that those that served on the ALCAN was awarded the medal. 

7BA30015-E4F7-49D1-9F27-866C45BCDAD1.jpeg

Such a cool helmet Marty! I had not even heard of the ALCAN highway thing until you and I started discussing this helmet some months back. Always learning.

The starting point where most of the resources were based was my hometown of Edmonton, Alberta and it was built through the top part of the province I now live in, British Columbia. It’s a very interesting story of US-Canadian cooperation and logistics! 

Thats a real stunner !!!  Wow Congratulations ! This is one that has it all !

Fixed bail Stclair Chaplain Id'd stencilled lid chin straps !!! Wow !

Just Wow !!!!

For reference, There is a great article in the February, 1943 National Geographic

"Alaskan Highway an Engineering Epic

By Froelich Rainey....

Great One Marty !!

Dave

REV. HOWARD K. HILNER The Rev. Howard K. Hilner, 77, of 2206 E. King's Highway, Coatesville, a former pastor of Zion Ev. Lutheran Church, Meyersdale, died recently of a heart attack at his home. Born in Danville, he was a son of the late Alfred C. and Hannah Kauffman Hilner. He had resided in the Coatesville area since leaving Meyersdale in 1951. Rev. Hilner served as Protestant Chaplain at the Coatesville Veterans Administration Hospital from 1951 until 1967, when he retired. He also had previously served pastorates in New Cumberland and Watsontown. During WW II he served as Protestant chaplain at Camp Grant, Rockford, Ill., and was chaplain on the Alcan Highway. After World War II, he continued his pastorate in Meyersdale until going to Coatesville. A graduate of Gettysburg College and Gettysburg Seminary, he was a member of the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, Coatesville; the Central Pennsylvania Synod, the Coatesville Area Clergy Association and of the Masonic Order in Meyersdale. In 1964 he was admitted to the Legion of Honor of the Chapel of Four Chaplains, Philadelphia. Surviving are his second wife, Catherine Coates Hilner; two daughters, Dorothea, wife of F. Frederick Breuninger, Coatesville and Patricia, wife of Clarke H. Bigler, Trumbull, Conn.; and a son, Howard K. Jr. of Pittsburgh; also ten grandchildren. (appears to be missing a column) Meyersdale Republic, December 12, 1974

22 hours ago, Bugme said:

Such a cool helmet Marty! I had not even heard of the ALCAN highway thing until you and I started discussing this helmet some months back. Always learning.

Thank you Scott and thank you for always helping with sold advice.

17 hours ago, 1canpara said:

The starting point where most of the resources were based was my hometown of Edmonton, Alberta and it was built through the top part of the province I now live in, British Columbia. It’s a very interesting story of US-Canadian cooperation and logistics! 

Canada is a place I would love it visit and. You are blessed to live in a beautiful country.

13 hours ago, whitecap said:

Fantastic set and thanks for sharing.

Rich

Thank you Rich

7 hours ago, dmar836 said:

That's a great one, Marty. Congrats!

Dave

Dave thank you

4 hours ago, ArchangelDM said:

Marty an amazing helmet and in the safest of hands 

congrats 

- Dean 

Dean you put me on the path of this helmet years ago and I thank you 

3 hours ago, The Rooster said:

Thats a real stunner !!!  Wow Congratulations ! This is one that has it all !

Fixed bail Stclair Chaplain Id'd stencilled lid chin straps !!! Wow !

Just Wow !!!!

For reference, There is a great article in the February, 1943 National Geographic

"Alaskan Highway an Engineering Epic

By Froelich Rainey....

Great One Marty !!

Dave

Dave, I will find that issue and put it with helmet. Thank you

3 hours ago, The Rooster said:

REV. HOWARD K. HILNER The Rev. Howard K. Hilner, 77, of 2206 E. King's Highway, Coatesville, a former pastor of Zion Ev. Lutheran Church, Meyersdale, died recently of a heart attack at his home. Born in Danville, he was a son of the late Alfred C. and Hannah Kauffman Hilner. He had resided in the Coatesville area since leaving Meyersdale in 1951. Rev. Hilner served as Protestant Chaplain at the Coatesville Veterans Administration Hospital from 1951 until 1967, when he retired. He also had previously served pastorates in New Cumberland and Watsontown. During WW II he served as Protestant chaplain at Camp Grant, Rockford, Ill., and was chaplain on the Alcan Highway. After World War II, he continued his pastorate in Meyersdale until going to Coatesville. A graduate of Gettysburg College and Gettysburg Seminary, he was a member of the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, Coatesville; the Central Pennsylvania Synod, the Coatesville Area Clergy Association and of the Masonic Order in Meyersdale. In 1964 he was admitted to the Legion of Honor of the Chapel of Four Chaplains, Philadelphia. Surviving are his second wife, Catherine Coates Hilner; two daughters, Dorothea, wife of F. Frederick Breuninger, Coatesville and Patricia, wife of Clarke H. Bigler, Trumbull, Conn.; and a son, Howard K. Jr. of Pittsburgh; also ten grandchildren. (appears to be missing a column) Meyersdale Republic, December 12, 1974

Thank you for taking the time to help research CH Hilner. There’s not much to be found but that’s part of the fun of research.

There are several copies of the feb 43 issue for sale on ebay.

The one pictured below is 4.95 + shipping.

s-l1600.jpg

11 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

There are several copies of the feb 43 issue for sale on ebay.

The one pictured below is 4.95 + shipping.

s-l1600.jpg

Just bought it. It was on my saved item but I had a message in to some other sellers to see if they had one; their price was a little lower. I guess if I waited it may have sold.

thank you 

In the lower right corner of the first page of the article about the highway, it says

"See, in the National Georaphic Magazine "our air frontier in Alaska" By Hap Arnold October 1940

"Family afoot in the yukon wilds" May 1942

"Strategic Alaska Looks Ahead" September 1942

Im guessing those are relevant articles that mention the Alcan.