Artificer Charles H. MacCorkle Durell's Battery, Civil War

Here is a group to Charles H. McCorkle who was born on March 13, 1841 in New York City, New York. He lived in Newtown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, where he received his education and learned the blacksmith’s trade. McCorkle enlisted at Doylestown, Pennsylvania, as an Artificer under Captain George W. Durell in Durell’s Independent Battery D, Pennsylvania Volunteer Artillery on September 24, 1861. He fought at Fredericksburg, the Mud March, Bull Run, Antietam, Vicksburg, the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, the Crater and Petersburg. He mustered out at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, on September 24, 1864. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, Captain H. Clay Beatty post number 73 in Bristol, Pennsylvania. Charles H. McCorkle died in Hulmeville, Pennsylvania on June 6, 1913. He is buried at the United Methodist Church and Cemetery in Langhorne, Pennsylvania. This group including the desk was bought by my uncle when the contents of the Grand Army of the Republic, Captain H. Clay Beatty post number 73 in Bristol, Pennsylvania was sold at auction. He gave the desk to my mother to use for school work when she was a girl. My father took the plate off when he was going to refinish the desk which he never got around to doing. My uncle gave me the other items when I asked him about the history of the desk.

Dick

entire-group.jpg

McCorkle-portrait.jpg

book.jpg

Battery-medal.jpg

Corps-medal.jpg

desk-plate.jpg

desk-cut-out.jpg

drawing.jpg

Great grouping! Interesting history! I live near the cemetery where Capt. Beatty is buried. They also have some revolutionary war soldiers buried there. We toured the cemetery on The 4th of July. 

Frank

B62580AA-DCAE-4113-8F26-1601D55B5A4E.jpeg.61648ea7924f3bee4b8c89ac59ad8f17.jpeg88AC865F-01D5-4C16-92EB-E8F78CE5F525.jpeg.37c54e51cf2fc0d2b76d6b4a8129a513.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...