WWII Sewing Machines

avigo

I had a few questions about military sewing machines.

1. Which machines (manufacturer and models) were used in the field/on ships, etc. during WWII? Mainly interested in WWII era but also Korea and Vietnam. 

Seems there were some Navy manuals for Singer machines but I can only find images of covers and I can't find any other info about different branches etc.

2. What machines were used in factories to make Barracks bags for WWII? (Specifically interested in how the denim barracks bags were made)

Not sure if this is information that is even available, I just haven't been able to find any and was hoping someone here might know more.

Thanks!

Not much found either, but to venture a guess, I would imagine they used industrial grade singer sewing machines.

Singer was widely used and they made industrial grade machines which I would guess were in use in factories.

Since all sewing machine production stopped at Singer during the war, I would guess they used what they had in the 1930's. Prob singer although

I have not found anything definitive. Like a contract to the military for sewing machines.

I would guess they were Singer brand Machines ?

I cannot directly answer your question but Singer models were surely the most prominently used.

Here are some images from WWII, Singers and with some research you can probably determine the models used by physical features. The first series is a facility in England.

1797333857_clothing2c.jpg.1c6178a3acce54064c79938affd89edb.jpg762885740_clothing2cc.jpg.1be072fb20189fc6e413af2dfa1344a6.jpgclothingc.jpg.096de1b9dfa7687001157c892cd31adb.jpgclothingcc.jpg.aa83e2f1f7270bbab964be87d73f465e.jpgclothingccc.jpg.6de388e7edd9b1bb87b376fca0d909ba.jpg

Forgot I had the Class-66 supply catalog (Navy), eat your heart out and pick your poison. I'm sure this would translate over to Army and other branches. It appears all types are cited as Singer's. Except the Piggly Wiggly sewing machine tables. Piggly Wiggly, what brand name!!

836864149_sew1.jpg.a61e8003b37f31084396bd32de96d01c.jpg1418502682_sew2.jpg.1c761e627831a6d4ab1e192a9c8d777c.jpg

General Apathy
On 8/16/2021 at 3:44 PM, avigo said:

I had a few questions about military sewing machines.

2. What machines were used in factories to make Barracks bags for WWII? (Specifically interested in how the denim barracks bags were made)

Thanks!

Hi Avigo,

I believe they were double needle sewing machines so that you get a regular width the entire length and it's also less time consuming than sewing two parallel threads separately . . . . . . . 

p.s.  just spotted that double needle machines are shown on the second page that Dustin posted . . . . . 

regards lewis.

1 hour ago, dustin said:

I cannot directly answer your question but Singer models were surely the most prominently used.

Here are some images from WWII, Singers and with some research you can probably determine the models used by physical features. The first series is a facility in England.

1797333857_clothing2c.jpg.1c6178a3acce54064c79938affd89edb.jpg762885740_clothing2cc.jpg.1be072fb20189fc6e413af2dfa1344a6.jpgclothingc.jpg.096de1b9dfa7687001157c892cd31adb.jpgclothingcc.jpg.aa83e2f1f7270bbab964be87d73f465e.jpgclothingccc.jpg.6de388e7edd9b1bb87b376fca0d909ba.jpg

These are great! Where did you find these photos and where did you find that catalog? I have never seen a copy of that catalog anywhere. 

This is a great place to start. Thanks again

TheCrustyBosun

If I remember correctly, the 1940 and 1943 editions of the Navy Bluejacket Manual have sections on Singer machines used for canvas work aboard ships including instructions for using them. I’m on vacation now, but will verify once I get back home. 

39 minutes ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

If I remember correctly, the 1940 and 1943 editions of the Navy Bluejacket Manual have sections on Singer machines used for canvas work aboard ships including instructions for using them. I’m on vacation now, but will verify once I get back home. 

Oh I'll have to check my bluejackets when I have the chance!

TheCrustyBosun

If it’s not in the Bluejacket, it’s definitely in the Boatswains Mate course material, which I will check as well. 

Great addition. Anyone that doesn't recognize that, it's the US Army QM catalog. It appears Singer made machines for every occasion, day and evening wear, casual or professional...haha. Avigo, I think you'll find that these two catalogs spell out the bulk of the types used and am sure cross over to all branches, even commercial. 

General Apathy
On 8/22/2021 at 5:36 PM, dustin said:

Great addition. Anyone that doesn't recognize that, it's the US Army QM catalog. It appears Singer made machines for every occasion, day and evening wear, casual or professional...haha. Avigo, I think you'll find that these two catalogs spell out the bulk of the types used and am sure cross over to all branches, even commercial. 

Hi Dustin & Robin,

Here's some information regarding Singer sewing machines during WWI and also it was found that the manufacturer of barracks bags were slicing a three inch strip of material off all the bolts of cloth and selling that separately as ' cuttings ' thereby earning a little side money. Fascinating information in the last sentence of the first paragraph the numerical amounts of pistol belts, haversacks, and cartridge belts made each month !!

The following page to this one states, In later contracts the Army specified that this strip should be used as the draw-string in each bag, thus saving six cents on each of millions of barrack bags. . . . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_cac0.jpeg.8cef5a3410376a28ecd4822578dcb278.jpeg

Here's the Singer Machines in use in the Korean War, machines no doubt first used in  WWII and were still good to go, an apparently all black QM unit, unit and date unknown, but as its still an black unit, then we would hazard a guess it is sometime in the late summer 1950 into early 1951.

ptc.jpg

Thanks so much everybody! So much great info here. Still haven't been a able to find my bluejackets but I plan on checking those too. 

I have a 111-W-155. It's a single needle walking foot. There are repair manuals that were printed by/for the military. The edition I used was I think from the KW era.

Dave

20 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

I have a 111-W-155. It's a single needle walking foot. There are repair manuals that were printed by/for the military. The edition I used was I think from the KW era.

Dave

Do you use the machine? Seems like a lot of these military models are hard to find, as well as the manuals. But would love to find one to use someday