Did IW Cavalry Sergeants wear the Silver Wreath NCO Buckle?

Hello,

I'm looking for assistance from folks that are far more knowledgeable in IW dress code regulations than I am. Several years ago I purchased a IW model 1874 saber belt with a model 1851 NCO buckle (with an applied silver wreath) on it. The leather belt has a Rock Island arsenal mark and EHS inspector initials on it. I believe E,H. Schmitten was an arsenal inspector during the late 1880s and early 1890s so I know this saber belt saw IW use with a CW NCO buckle on it. In effort to create a late IW cavalry sergeant's belt rig, I added a Model 1892 holster, Mckeever cartridge box, and a 1885 Jeb Stuart saber attachment to the belt. 

I'm also an old western movie buff. I have never seen a cavalry sergeant in an old IW movie wearing a sliver wreath NCO belt buckle. Only commissioned officers' are wearing the buckle with the sliver wealth. In the old western movies, cavalry sergeants are wearing the enlisted man's oval US buckle. Are the old western movies historically wrong?

In my book BlueCoats, The US Army in the West, 1848 to 1897, there are pictures of 1880s post commissary and post quartermaster sergeants wearing black bridle saber belts with the NCO buckle with the applied silver wreath. So I know that sergeants were issued NCO buckles with the silver wreath. In these pictures the sergeants are in the dress uniform.

Could sergeants only wear the NCO buckle with the applied German wreath for dress or garrison duty or post duty? This could explain why the old western movies show cavalry sergeants

wearing the enlisted man's oval US buckle (field or combat duty). If this is the case, then the sack coat accompanying the saber belt in my attached picture would be incorrect? 

Any feedback would be appreciated.

NCO Grouping.jpg

• 1 month later...

That sort of thing was likely to be regulated by the post commander or the officers of the regiment where they were posted. Theres not going to be a definitive rule. Staff NCO's of course are seen wearing these with the dress uniform in formal photos. Line units? I've seen regular privates wearing them in the 1870's when regulations were probably at their most lax. Most images of the late 1880's and into the 90's show Sgt's wearing the std. Hagner plate / belt. Moreso, by then a lot of companies even appear to be turning out with the Mills prairie belt as the rather useless leather Hagners and pouches became passe.