M1 web sling

Dogsbody

Hi all, I've had this sling for a while and since it is unmarked I'm not entirely sure if it is a WW2, post war or even Danish example. I've seen some threads on here about the M1 sling and to my eyes it looks like it could be a WW2 one but I'm far from an expert on these things. It will be much appreciated if some experienced members could shed some light on this sling.  

SAM_1623.JPG.f5b0be52faa5d02f6f5f812d970f4334.JPGSAM_1624.JPG.de7c46f5babe0cab3e0b8778da4e95f2.JPGSAM_1626.JPG.714cac2aad6346684c543a46cd9c0210.JPGSAM_1627.JPG.984a56405f95f1621b0a7691b06924e7.JPGSAM_1628.JPG.1f1d9e4d088b584afaa5d68f22e55a88.JPG

As sure as I can be without being unrealistic since I don't know everything. It was in a junk box in one of those old 'real' surplus stores years ago. The ink stamp looks good to my eye compared to other stamped items I have which I am sure of. Not like those (among others) USMC carbine/reising slings, one of which I was burned on a while back. I'm sure about the sling itself anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 10:54 PM, collector said:

Here's mine, sure looks similar.

US Rifle Sling M1 1943.jpg

Sorry for my late response. Thanks for showing your example. It does indeed look quite similar.

Hi Rene.  I have an old sling somewhere.  I'll rifle through my shoebox this weekend and take a look at if for you.  Markings on mine are hard to read, but I believe it is WWII vintage.

Mikie  

I dug mine out of the shoebox and it looks just like yours, Rene.  Mine is marked S.M. Co. 1943. Marking is hard to read, I had to use the old night vision camcorder trick to see it.   A little research found that square cornered buckles, and flat clasps like ours date them to WWII. Clasps with a bump on them came out late war. No clue when the buckle corners became rounded, but sometime after 1943. 

Hey, this is cool! I almost sort of know what I'm talking about for a change (maybe?)! 

Mikie

On 8/28/2021 at 9:26 PM, mikie said:

I dug mine out of the shoebox and it looks just like yours, Rene.  Mine is marked S.M. Co. 1943. Marking is hard to read, I had to use the old night vision camcorder trick to see it.   A little research found that square cornered buckles, and flat clasps like ours date them to WWII. Clasps with a bump on them came out late war. No clue when the buckle corners became rounded, but sometime after 1943. 

Hey, this is cool! I almost sort of know what I'm talking about for a change (maybe?)! 

Mikie

I have a couple unmarked and a Atlas Marked 44 I recall.

Mikie is your sling RM by chance for Russel Manufacturing?

Charlie Flick

The M1 slings that are marked S.M.Co. were made by the Schlegel Manufacturing Company of Rochester, NY.

Regards,

Charlie

15 hours ago, doyler said:

I have a couple unmarked and a Atlas Marked 44 I recall.

Mikie is your sling RM by chance for Russel Manufacturing?

Mine is definitely marked S.M. Co.   It looked unmarked until I hit it with the night vision camcorder.  And it was as if they decided to mark it in the absolutely hardest place to see it.  It's right where the strap bends around the bail (for want of correct terminology), and the clip.  It is oriented side to side on the strap rather than lenghtwise as on collector's example. 

Mikie

1 hour ago, Charlie Flick said:

The M1 slings that are marked S.M.Co. were made by the Schlegel Manufacturing Company of Rochester, NY.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks Charlie for the mfg info.   I was confusing it with the S.M. Co. that makes canteens etc.  I think that one is Southern Metal Co. or something like that.

Mikie