Huge ETO Bring Back Lot

Fixbayonets!

Posting an update as I have recently acquired a few more spoils from this veterans estate.  The new additions are 4 more armbands, another RAD cap badge, a cloth RAD cap insignia, another NSDAP flag and a matched Kar98K.  I was also able to get some photos of the veteran.  Thanks for having another look.

Rob 

k981.jpg

k982.jpg

k983.jpg

k984.jpg

1 hour ago, John4022 said:

Holy crap, he was busy souvenir hunting!!! Congratulations Rob, I bet you are over the moon 👍

When you have a tank to carry your stuff you can carry more than a grunt

1 minute ago, Linedoggie said:

When you have a tank to carry your stuff you can carry more than a grunt

Very true! Hell, I'd be towing a trailer with me near the end of the war 😁

Thanks & yes, I couldn't be more pleased.  From what I have been told this veteran brought home even more stuff that I unfortunately will not get.  It turns out he had some articles of German field gear that his kids played army with.  Those items were worn out in backyard battles & since lost to history.      

Brian Dentino

Talk about a souvenir hound!  This guy must have picked up any German item that was small enough to remove from wherever he found it.  This is the haul that keeps on coming.....hope you get a crack at more as I have no doubt he may have more goodies stashed somewhere.

Thanks again!  Currently I am waiting on some more photos and hopefully some paperwork.  I am not sure if there is anything else left in the estate but the possibility exists.  I am also trying to see if the family has, and if so, is willing to part with any of the veterans items such as his uniform, insignia, etc.  The only thing I know for sure they have is his garrison cap with attached DUI.  If nothing else, I want to see if I can just get a photo of the cap so I can figure out what unit he was with.  I will keep this post updated with any future developments.  

• 1 month later...

The only update is that I received some photos of the veteran but no paperwork.  I am still waiting on the garrison cap & also his shirt with shoulder patch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Gear Fanatic

HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS! Is exactly what I thought seeing this, that is probably the most amazing grouping of German artifacts I have ever seen, in quantity, quality and provenance. Truly an amazing find, I would kill to have that grouping.

great find! Enjoy it!😉

Fixbayonets!

Thank you for the kind words Gear Fanatic!  I have since acquired a couple of period photos of this veteran holding a few of the bring backs you see in this group.  Just a little something extra to add to the provenance.   

Gear Fanatic

Awesome! That makes it even more special, do you think you could post some more in depth pictures of the helmet, rifle and armbands, my friend is more into axis stuff and I think he would love to see this! If you get a chance that would be awesome, but if not completely fine. 

Fixbayonets!

Sure, there is no helmet in the group but here are more photos of the armbands and rifle.  Some of the armbands are of many multiples of the same so I just posted one of each as an example for those.

arm1.jpg

arm2.jpg

arm3.jpg

arm4.jpg

arm5.jpg

arm6.jpg

arm7.jpg

arm8.jpg

arm9.jpg

arm10.jpg

arm11.jpg

arm12.jpg

rif1.jpg

rif2.jpg

rif3.jpg

rif4.jpg

rif5.jpg

MinutemanEMTer

That rifle with all proofs intact is worth quite a bit. Especially the condition it is in.

Does it have the front sight hood and the cleaning rod?

Gear Fanatic

Whoops, Maybe I was looking at a different lot, my mind had left me! That k98 is in pristine condition with a nice early day and a very nice waffenompt, all the markings are very nice. Those armbands are all very nice, the medic one I’m guessing since it is a capture a German one, but is there any way to differentiate between US and German? And the armband in the picture below, I can’t tell from pictures is the emblem embroidered or is it a stamped one? I also noticed on that same one that there is a stamp on the right side, do you know what that is? Sorry to bombard you with questions! Lol I’m just so impressed with this lot! What an amazing part of history!

Fixbayonets!

Minuteman - The rifle does not have a sight hood but it does have the cleaning rod.

Gear Fanatic - It is my pleasure to answer any questions you may have.

Yes, the medic armband shown in the group is German.  They are different from U.S. medic armbands.  On the German armband the red cross is direct embroidered to the armband.  The U.S. armband has a separately applied red cross sewn to the armband.  The U.S. medic armband that I have has International red cross stampings on the inside.  The materials that make up the armband are different as well.  I posted a photo of the German medic armband above the U.S. medic armband for you to compare.

The SA sports armband has the insignia embroidered on the white disk, the disk is then sewn to the armband.  I believe the stamp represents a unit that the wearer would have belonged to.  This is the same type of stamp that is commonly found on documents.  These stamps can be found applied to certain armbands from time to time. 

marm1.jpg

marm2.jpg

Fixbayonets!

Yes Jean-Loup, here are some photos of the note found in the pocket.  It is in very bad condition with tears & period taped repairs.  I had to take photos of it in sections.  It has been folded in the tunic pocket since the war and it refuses to lay flat.  I think I can make out an address, a crude drawing of a horse and "Wehrmacht" written a few times.  Thanks for offering to take a closer look, I look forward to your review.

note1.jpg

note2.jpg

note3.jpg

note4.jpg

note5.jpg

note6.jpg

Kurt Barickman

What a souvenir hunter! Being in a motorized unit helped him keep accumulating souvenirs and being able to maintain control over them. I have a seen a few big vet hauls like that over the years but not in quite awhile. Congrats on sealing the deal!!

Kurt