Painted P17 at local shop?

Howlingriffon

Howlingriffon

This guy is sitting in a local place.  He is asking $125.  I know enough to know that I don't know enough...

Any input on value?

As always, thank you for your assistance.

m_IMG_0763.jpg.7d2b696ef5649ae5b4ff674b940d5ed0.jpg

m_IMG_0764.jpg.27e5669a6beb9a732a46e5c35c975adc.jpg

m_IMG_0765.jpg.ef460edbfe30a9e0710b612c8106c73f.jpg

m_IMG_0766.jpg.78f724f416944c57e37fa93714654295.jpg

m_IMG_0767.jpg.ba2dde12934013fdb79f5903b8a291ea.jpg

m_IMG_0768.jpg.831bc75cb89fd730c8e195eacd825634.jpg

m_IMG_0769.jpg.69f29763355978c0fe2a18fdc9708acc.jpg

m_IMG_0770.jpg.0cea192b693e2b4ed19e2638637e76e5.jpg

CavalryCombatant

I’m not up to speed with WWI helmets, but appears to be an American made lid, with a really nice camouflage pattern.  It seems consistent with the other camo’s I’ve seen.  

I’d wait for the others to chime in, but I think that’s a really good piece and priced really fairly.

CC

I own about 40 WWI US painted helmets, I would have passed on this one.  If thinking about flipping it you might make 25-50 profit. With an ID or better condition you'd do better. If you can talk them down on the price it might be worth it. 

AustinO, Is that low price estimate because of what it is or what it isn't? Can you give any details of your thinking?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Tough question to answer.  It looks heavily rusted, and the colors are all muted or mostly missing.  No liner, no ID; its not going to be a keeper helmet for most collectors.  Entry level camo, if you're happy with to have it, great! 

I like it, no liner but it actually looks like something painted during WW1 and not later during occupation or for a veteran parade. I am appreciating WW1 relics that look their age more and more. ( I have a "few" WW1 items myself). I would have paid $125.00 for it easily and would have been happy to add it to my battlefield relic collection. As far as profit, I am more of a collector than a dealer so I defer to others. Very cool piece. 

Airborne-Hunter

I'd have bought it without a second thought. Muted colors are a good sign of an original....vibrant colors are another story. Its probably worth $150-175 as said, but thats not the reason to buy it. You buy it because it came out locally and can remember finding it locally. Anyone can spend any amount of money on the internet any day of the week. There are better looking helmets, but thats not the point. ABN

Howlingriffon

I went ahead and paid for it today. I know it isn’t a super collectible but for my first WW1 piece I’m happy with it. One day when I’m farther along in this journey, I may be able to pass it along to a fresh newbie. 
Thank you all for the input. I’ll take all of the advice and knowledge that I can get!

easterneagle87

I too would have picked it up, but waved a Benjamin at it just to see if they'd make a move. Never hurts to ask. I like it, and if it's sitting on a shelf, whose going to see the liner. You're definitely not going to get hurt on it.  My daughter is up in the Panhandle as well, next time on vacation where might I find this shop? 

CavalryCombatant
49 minutes ago, Howlingriffon said:

I went ahead and paid for it today. I know it isn’t a super collectible but for my first WW1 piece I’m happy with it. One day when I’m farther along in this journey, I may be able to pass it along to a fresh newbie. 
Thank you all for the input. I’ll take all of the advice and knowledge that I can get!

Congratulations!

You’ve picked a good one!

Howlingriffon

easterneagle  it’s called A-Tin-Hut Military Surplus (I hope I’m not breaking a rule)

I went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago. We always seem to go to Pensacola when they are closed. Great place and I’ll be going there a lot more often.   I have another post about a salty M1 pot and it came from there also…grabbed it for a great price too!

Howlingriffon

Ok, got it and had a chance to look a little more.   There is a heat stamp that appears to be X D K.   A quick google search and not coming up with that. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I would go for it, original camo painted helmets are getting hard to find. If I remember correctly, the "X" series of stamped helmets came out before the "Z" and "Y" stamped ones. 

• 4 weeks later...

There's no such thing as a "P17" helmet. 

In general, the letter codes were assigned in the order contracts were awarded, so a helmet marked with an X steel code isn't necessarily earlier than one with a Z.  An exception is U, where evidence indicates that the contract was awarded well after X, Y and Z.

It may be an entry level camo but, I would have dropped $120 on it in a second. And I've been collecting since the mid-70's. I try to not walk away from a nice legit piece of history at a fair price.