World War 1 Import Souvenir Flag/Photograph Holder?

Capt.Confederacy

Capt.Confederacy

I purchased this and was curious to see if anyone had any opinions on it either for the purpose of the item or when it was made.

It stamped "Made in Japan", and the embroidery (US eagle with US shield flanked by French and Belgian flags) makes me think of an imported WW1 souvenir flag/photo holder.  (In the "O" at the bottom of item, the stitching is loose to allow a photo to be inserted.)  It's an odd one since I've not seen any souvenir items like this from WW1 Japan.

Thanks.

WW1 Souvenir Flag.jpg

WW1 Souvenir Flag Label.jpg

That’s beautiful.

When sailors went to the Far East on a cruise they would often bring these home.

I think it was in the 1920s that the term “made in Japan “ was first used.

It looks like there is a French and German flag too.

The sailors photo would go in the frame.

Salvage Sailor

The OP is correct, it's a patriotic piece depicting the USA Eagle/shield with French and Belgian flags ala coming to their defense in WWI. 

Also keep this in mind.  In the Great War of 1914-1918, the Japanese (as were the Italians) were allied with the Entente cause.  Political conditions did not sour between their supposed allies until they were cut out of the Versailles treaty & hobbled in the 1922 Naval treaty. 

Entente.jpg.f9fbcdf90e14eaacf92260fda3aaf8b6.jpg

easterneagle87

This was my item that I posted on the forum earlier this year for identification. Glad it went to a forum member. 

Capt.Confederacy

Thanks for the input, guys.  I didn't know Japan produced such items, but it is a beauty.

Thanks again.

Do a search using the term Remembrance scroll and you will likely see a number of these posted. They can date pretty early, and can be Japanese and Chinese made. Some are elaborate and large. I have one framed for a Marine who served in the

Legation Guard in Peking China in 1907. It is about 2 feet by 3 feet. The workmanship on these are gorgeous. Fun bit of trivia, in the movie A Few Good Men, a large eagle of this design is framed on the wall behind Jack Nicholson’s desk in Cuba.