Opinions on my Grandfather's WWI Purple Heart

usmedalman

When my uncle passed away I received the Purple Heart that my grandfather received for wounds in WWI. I have gathered a good deal of information on his unit and when he was wounded. But the family story is that he applied for the Purple Heart in 1938 or 1939. But I don't think that is right because the PH is not numbered and is a slot brooch.  So, when did the first unnumbered PHs come out? Does the engraving style indicate the time frame for the issue? The picture below was taken on the case the medal was in when I received it.

Family history also has it that grandpa Fred was severely wounded and the fact he spent almost a year in the hospital here in the states would seem to confirm that, although I don't have any medical records. Grandpa was in the 1st Inf. Division and fought at Cantigny and several other battles before being wounded on July 18, 1918.

PH reverse.jpg

I don't know the exact contract of when they were issued with no numbers but I think it was 1943/44.  Someone else I'm sure can provide the exact date.  Hand engraving I would say the same period which was about the time they started doing machine engraving. He either applied for it late or it was a reissue.  An AGO pull when the archives might answer that question.  Since he was in 1ID most also recieved a Silver Star from the 1ID GO issued which translated into the awarding of the SS when they became a part of the Army awards.