Looking for ideas on Body armor

MattD

I'm building some displays for the local military museum here. I'm working on Vietnam-today

Anyone have suggestions on replica/replacement armor for Body Armor vests.

I have the following Body Armor vest carriers/outer shells

1. current issue IBA/Interceptors

2. M1952 Korean war era

3. M69

I was going to cut up a sleep pad, but I don't think it will hang right on mannequins.

Any suggestions?

I think maybe the sleeping pad or similar type of foam would work if you were to duct tape something to to to help stiffen it up and maybe add a little weight...I think that's what I'd try.

I think maybe the sleeping pad or similar type of foam would work if you were to duct tape something to to to help stiffen it up and maybe add a little weight...I think that's what I'd try.

When I am building a carrier for ballistic panels that I don't have in my possession, I take a tracing and measure the thickness of the panels

and take closed cell foam and cut it to shape. Then we tape the panels together and sew a fabric envelope around it, replicating as closely as

possible the ballistic panels but in a much lighter and easier to manage fashion. The blue sleeping pads in the camping section at Wal Mart are

a pretty good match density and thickness-wise for most of the ballistic material we bump into.

HTH

I use cut up sleeping pad with the edges rounded off for the soft insterts. As for the armor plates, the airsoft plates on eBay go for about $25. Also, we had guys glue layers of cardboard together to the desired thickness, and then cut it with a jig saw to the desired shape.

I use cut up sleeping pad with the edges rounded off for the soft insterts. As for the armor plates, the airsoft plates on eBay go for about $25. Also, we had guys glue layers of cardboard together to the desired thickness, and then cut it with a jig saw to the desired shape.

Seems like everyone is leaning toward the sleeping pads

Thanks for input, I'll post some pics when I get display done.

Hawkdriver -thanks for IBA stuff

Matt