Granddad's HGU-2/P Helmet and Mask

Stillwell

I wanted to share my grandfather's flight helmet from his time as an F-106 Pilot.
He served from 1951-1964, flying F-94s, F-102s, and F-106s during his time.

Sadly the helmet is in rough shape and missing most of its parts (inner padding, comms, visor assy. etc) but I'm hoping to find the right parts and restore it!

I did have two questions regarding the helmet and mask: Was there a standard when it came to reflective tape on helmets that people have seen? (mainly for interceptor pilots)
Also, I understand this isn't quite the right forum section, but the hose on the MBU-5/P has a rip between one of the ribs, does anyone have any experience repairing these?

20210812_232639961_iOS.jpg

20210812_232656548_iOS.jpg

20210812_232705671_iOS.jpg

20210812_232715486_iOS.jpg

20210812_232729885_iOS.jpg

20210812_233045585_iOS.jpg

phantomfixer

Nice that you saved granddads helmet…will clean up nice

clear silicone has worked good for me…dabbed on with a tooth pic or similar item…enjoy the resto

It is great that you have your grandfathers helmet. The parts are available to bring it back. PM me if you want to start restoring it. The paint and reflective tape look in good shape and only need a good cleaning. No repair for ripped rubber. I think I may have some new ones. If you would trust me with it, I could bring it back to life.

I appreciate the help there!

Oh one question regarding the MBU-5/P series. Were they always made of silicone? or were early ones rubber?

Very nice of you wanting to keep this family memory alive !

As far as I recall, and contrary to the early MS-22001 / A-13A face pieces that were initially rubber-made (the use of silicone came later), I think the MBU-5/Ps series were silicone-made from the beginning.

That's a pretty neat restoration basis you have here, since the internal / comm missing parts are not particularly hard to find (you can trust Bob -72psb- on this !).

In my opinion, the missing early-type visor housing with metal visor tracks , USAF wings decal and blue cross knob (according to the vintage picture of your granddad you provided) will be the toughest and most important part to find. Luckily, it looks like it was not sporting any other customization job than an embossed Dymo patronymical tape under the USAF wings decal, so you just gotta find the right housing to put on and that will be all 🙂 (at that time, V-shaped red / white patterns completing the back shell's inverted T-shaped reflective tape were frequent on the housing, like this one for instance).

Looking forward to seeing more !