#ed Naval Order of the United States USMC/USN

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

Neat medal from an early military society with members such as Admiral Dewey and John McCain.
This is an early one with number 44 engraved on rim and almost certainly to a Civil War veteran but I have
not found any roster of numbers.

Naval Order (1).jpg

Naval Order (2).jpg

Naval Order (3).jpg

Naval Order (4).jpg

Andrew a very beautiful piece with great engraving. IMO society medals are certainly of the more striking awards and under appreciated to some extent. Thank you for showing us this marvelous piece. 

• 2 weeks later...
wartimecollectables.com

Thanks! I received this from the current society...

Hi Andrew,
      Looking at the member list, member, CDR Felix McCurley with member number 44.  I don’t have his join date but I have his death date in 1896.  He belonged to the Pennsylvania Commandery.  The members around him joined in the 1893-1894 timeframe.  He would be alive during the Civil War. You appear to have one of our medals from the 1890’s. Best regards,     Kris
CAPT M. K. Carlock, USN, (Ret)

Registrar General, Naval Order of the United States

Commander Felix McCurley Obit

A GALLANT OFFICER DEAD.

Commander Felix McCurley, Captain of the League Island Navy-Yard.

Passes Away Full of Years and Honors — Was Under Fire More Than Forty Times.

PHILADELPHIA, Pa., May 3.—Commander Felix McCurley, U. S. N., Captain of the League Island Navy-yard, died at that station this morning of heart failure. Commander McCurley was born in Baltimore in 1815 and early in life entered the merchant marine service. When the war broke out he entered the United States navy as I acting master. He served throughout the war with great gallantry and was under fire more than forty times.

In action he was conspicuous for coolness and intrepidity and the encouragement he gave his men. At the conclusion of the war be was attached to various squadrons in different parts of the world. Twice while on the Asiatic station in command of the U. S. S. Alliance be rescued shipwrecked crews at sea, and on both occasions received the thanks of the Chinese Government.

He was appointed Captain of the League Island Navy-yard in April, 1893. To date of his death Commander McCurley was a splendid type of the volunteer officer, of which the War of the Rebellion produced so many examples, and was one of the most widely known officers in the service. His many nne[qualities of heart and mind

a nd his skill as a sailor endeared him to and brought him the confidence of all who ever sailed with him: