Mills 1880s Cavalry Cartridges

Hello,

Next up in the cartridge belt series are 1880s Mills cavalry cartridge belts. I have shown two belts in the cavalry grouping picture. The top belt is M1881 woven Mills belt and the second is the short lived model 1881 Metcalf or Sherman belt with a period modification. Army regulations in 1881 didn't allow anything to be carried or attached to the cartridge belt but cartridges. The Sherman or Metcalf belt was necessary to hold the revolver holster and revolver ammunition and saber. The Metcalf belt was designed to keep the holster and revolver ammunition below the cartridge belt. Hence, troopers had to wear two military belts which they disliked,

My Metcalf belt has a period modified canvas revolver ammunition carrier. It is blue and holds 9 rounds while the original ammunition carrier is tan, has the Mills Patent tab. and holds 12 rounds. The belt has the Rock Island arsenal mark and DCL inspectors initials. The holster is a model 1881 in good condition. It has a readable Rock Island arsenal mark and WTG inspector initials. Model 1881 holsters that saw a lot use tend to have a fair amount of leather flaking on the flap and belt loop. 

I have also included pictures of two of my cavalry cartridge belts too. One is an early 1880s converted mills cartridge belt because it has no grommets for additional equipment. It just has the leather billet. brass buckle, and the two rivet leather chape for the saber hanger. The other cavalry cartridge belt has the13 grommets for attaching equipment. This belt was most likely converted around 1885. It has a shortened the leather billet. Troopers were slender in the 1880s so shortening the long leather billet is frequently seen on these belts.  Both have Model 1885 JEB Stuart saber hangers and model 1881 holsters.

metcalf belt.jpg

20201120_145656.jpg

20201120_145732.jpg

20201120_145801.jpg

20201120_145725_HDR.jpg

Cavalry Mills belts 2.jpg

Cavalry Mills Belts.jpg